Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » can't let go of his past

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can't let go of his past
domncroxd
Activist
Member # 20869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for domncroxd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,
I'm having a problem coping with my boyfriend's past relationship. Before he dated me, before he even got to know me, he was dating this other girl whom he thought he was desperately in love with. He got played really badly, however. The thing is, I don't know why I always get riled up and jealous over his past. He used to want to be able to make amends with her, and I used to help him because I thought that it'd make him happy. Only now, after 9 months, did I break down and say all the awful, bottled-up jealousies and rage, about how I wanted him to delete photos of her, etc. It sounds really crazy, but I would like to find a way to cope with this. I don't want to always remain jealous over the past, and he's been good to me and never cheated on me.

Thank you for your input!

Posts: 53 | From: Melbourne, Australi | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what helps in a situation like this, is to realize that you love your boyfriend for who he is now - and he is a product of his past, just like everyone else. Meaning that his experiences have made him the person you love now. Besides, he is chosing to be with you now, and you say yourself that you are happy with the relationship and that you trust him.

So, accept his past and move on. Really. Dwelling on the past isn't going to help you and if you allow yourself to go into jealous fits of rage over something that happened a long time ago, you're going to create unecessary problems in an otherwise happy relationship.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
domncroxd
Activist
Member # 20869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for domncroxd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

Thank you for your advice. It's been a rocky journey, but I'm doing my best to get out of this mindset.

Have a good day everyone!

Posts: 53 | From: Melbourne, Australi | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aela 57
Neophyte
Member # 27587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aela 57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess that you're concerned about his past girlfriend because you're concerned that on some level he is still in love with her, and that she maybe could have him back if she wanted to.

It's not an easy situation coping with exs but maybe by dating you, and seeing how genuinely nice you are to him, and how you really value him and treat him well, he already knows you're so much better that she ever was.

Especially with ex-loves there's often a bit of you that likes to indulge in reminiscing, and that's probably why he likes having a couple of old pictures, but it only takes a second for the bad memories to come flooding back.

I'm sure he's totally happy he has someone as good as you there for him and loving him. The fact he hasn't completely forgotten his ex and any of her bad traits too, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

--------------------
Aela. 19, 5'9. Often confused.

Posts: 20 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.