Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » is it true?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is it true?
Neophyte
Member # 28586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 133777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen things on line claiming that they have test and other such evaluations on the status of a relationship. Also there are tests that are made claiming that they will tell you if the girl/guy you like likes you back. Does she like me? this is something that interested me when i myself have a girl which i like very much, but thats a different topic....anyways what are your guys's in put to this...do you think there are tests out there that can help you determine if your crush like you back? I did find one article that was more interesting from all the other "tests". This site said (also scientificly, not just some bs) that there is one little test you can try to see if the girl you like likes you back, it is also a test that measures the relationship status, which in other words will tell you if the girl/guy likes you back....anyways there were several tests and of course a lot of them were bs...you cant just answer ?'s and then have the copmputer tell you if your crush likes you but this one test was more scientific and it does make sense...what do you guys think?- test says that every person has a certain amount of set "personal bubble space", meaning that acording to the status of your relationship the space varies, if you were going out and together then you would hug, kiss, and cuddle and all of that and subcontiously just like with out thinking and hesitation and being comfortable...but if its your crush that your not sure if they like you back? well run this test of sitting next to them, the moving a little closer and closer every time, if she/he stays then congradulations! she is subcontiously letting you into her "bubble" but if she/he pulls away then they might not be that comfortable being that close...and so there for there is your relationship status test that is scientificly proven...so they say now what do you guys have to say for this? and is there any other test like this that you can try to see if your crush likes you back?
Posts: 4 | From: ri | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's really only one way to know if a crush likes you back: you ASK them. Seriously, those tests are not really going to tell you much of anything. You want to know if someone likes you? Talk to them about it - you can take all the tests you want, but no test or computer can get inside someone else's head and tell you how they feel. Only the person in question can do that.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 28586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 133777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes i know talking to them is the only way to really find out what they feel about you, but i was just curious to see if any of you guys have herd of things similar to this just for discussion but i know the girl i like i already did talk to i was just talking about that article i found and what your guys's in put would be thats all but thanks for helping haha of course the only way to know what the other person is feeling by talking to them, but i was just interested about that one little test because i tried it on friends that were girls and the girl i liked and you would be surprised what you can find out about the status of your relationship, because the "bubble of space" is suncontious you dont really think about it...unless you put your hand on her or something but in terms of just little movment to getting closer and watching the reaction can tell you a lot, and that was just interesting to me thats all but yes in the end if you really want to know what some one feels about you theres only one way to ask
Posts: 4 | From: ri | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karybu is right! The only way to fully know if someone is interested in you, is to talk about it. It makes me smile and shake my head when people take these internet tests so seroiusly.

If you have a crush, and you think they MAY be intested, ask them. It's as simple as that (or maybe not so simple sometimes, but it's the only way to really know)

quote:
...but if its your crush that your not sure if they like you back? well run this test of sitting next to them, the moving a little closer and closer every time, if she/he stays then congradulations! she is subcontiously letting you into her "bubble" but if she/he pulls away then they might not be that comfortable being that close
You sitting close to someone doesn't mean that person you are sitting close to "likes" you. I have guy friends who sit close to me, some even put their arms around me. I don't mind, but not because I am at all interested. They are my friends, as long as they aren't sitting on top of me, I'm not uncomfortable.
Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 28586

right...I really dont think any of you are uderstanding what i meant by my post. I thought it would make a good discussion and there must be some of you out there that from expirience have used little tricks to yes "test" the status of the relationship. Now i put "test" in parenthases because i dont mean a silly quiz on line that doesnt do anything...duhh there stupid ?'s made form a bs site, but what i was going for were actuall scientificly proven facts about the relationships with people and how they interact. It has been proven that us humans do have a "Bubble" and yes friends are in this bubble as well... thats what i meant by trying it for yourself and with the knowlege of this test you can see thinhs about the friend relationship that you may of not noticed before....but let me ask you this would you let some stranger you have never seen before come sit down next to you and if they got a little to close for your comfort you would move your arm or shift your weight to the other side of the chair....this reaction is more of a scientific thing, and when i made this post i just thought it would be interesting to see what you guys had to say as in if you have herd about this yourself or other "tests" that other people dont know about, i think it would be interesting to hear what people have to say, and this being a site where you have several people with problems seeking help i think it would be cool to have a few little articles with some scientific facts about some stimulas and responses of humans and there relationships and observations of how they reacte. Now you guys arent scientific researchers making calculaions about humans and there reactions to different situations, but some discussion of that matter could be interesting lots of people. And sorry if i caused any confusion with my first post...i never really wanted advice about the girl i liked....i know i have to talk to her...but it was more about this test i saw online....and it interested me how us humans really do make subcontious responses to other people...so if any of you have something to comment on that would be cool even say the test is bs haha idc but a discussion would be cool
likewhoa19
Activist
Member # 28218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for likewhoa19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean, YES, people's emotions can be reflected in their body language. But it's not really a definite test. People's body language is different from country to country even. People in Europe don't feel they need as much personal space as Americans generally do, for instance. And people who are aware of these body language things (eye contact, how close you sit to someone, "mirroring" them, etc.) can fake it. People who are especially shy will go to extra lengths not to show that they like you, and thus avoid doing these things. It's really not a good way to go about life -you'll probably be far more successful at meeting people if you learn to be brave and frank in your verbal conversation, since that's far harder to misconstrue.

Although, certainly there are things people consciously do to show you they are interested in you at least on a friendly level. Initiating conversations with you, asking you questions about yourself, all of these are such symbols. "Eye-flirting" where someone looks at you until you make contact, then smiles and drops their eyes. Especially if they repeat it. Going out of their way to touch you is a way people often use consciously to show they want to touch you, to see how you respond. Both of these are things people will sometimes do on more of a conscious level to show they like you. But it's still possible to think people are sending signals when they're not, and vice versa. Also people flirt sometimes w/o serious intention. Really getting to know someone better as a person is the best way to get to know things about them, like whether they'd like you.

[ 04-29-2006, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: likewhoa19 ]

Posts: 193 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 28586

thank you!! yes this is wat i was trying to get a discussion, and ya about that eye flirting tequnique i have had that done to me a few times when a girl look at you then smiles and laughs, i ussually just smile back but sometimes i dont know what to do back, and yes body languege would be another way to "tell" or "test" whats going on but body singnlals can be misunderstood very easy and if you ever want to know if your friendship is more i would talk to them about it, but this should be a good discussion does any one else have storyies or expiriences to tell about dating and or seeing if the person you like likes you back or how to help you tell if your friend is more interested then just being friends such as that situation you explained how people that are shy will go to extra leingths to try and make it seem like they dont like you which is sometimes easy to pick up on. One of my friends always makes an excuse of being cold so we cuddle when watching movies ant tv and other activities....what indicators of body langouge would help me determine if she was leading me on....and remember guys a discussion i dont need any one to say "talk to her about if she likes you", im interested in hearing peoples expiriences with dating techniques and skills and things they have learned after going through several relationships...share some stories

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.