Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » no friends, everyone sucks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: no friends, everyone sucks
mapquest
Neophyte
Member # 27891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mapquest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most people in the world seem completely worthless and I don't really trust anyone anymore because I can't seem to get a single friend
Posts: 5 | From: usa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An attitude like that isn't going to net you many friends, I'm afraid.

Are you in high school? College? Have you tried joining a club, or doing volunteer work, things like that? Starting a new activity is usually a great way to meet people.

(Nifty handle, btw. [Smile] )

[ 03-12-2006, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mapquest
Neophyte
Member # 27891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mapquest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in college, well
I was in college for 1 quarter, then I dropped out and came back home because I hated all the fake people in college. I've been out this whole quarter staying at my mom's house being bored and in 2 weeks I'm starting spring quarter at the UC here.

All the true people I used to know are not true anymore..I just don't understand it - I don't know how to break through to them so it can be true like old times.

Posts: 5 | From: usa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, living at home while being bored and bumming around can really wear you down, too. Glad to hear you're trying college again, especially if it was just the people who you weren't into.

So you tried a college and found it wasn't for you. Perhaps if you stayed longer, you'd meet people more like you, but leaving for a better match was also a solution.

We change over time and, just as some friendships grow closer, others grow apart. The high school-college gap is a major time for this. Maybe they are just looking for a new life there, or maybe you guys didn't actually have so much in common. Not that you can't appreciate the friendship you had before, but it has changed. It might not be like "old times" in terms of the people, but the same feeling of friendship will be there... just with different people and, chances are, even better.

Attitude is so important: being open to knowing new people is crucial, even for a short chat or an invitation to hang out to a potential friendship. Take classes you are interested in; try out and join a bunch of clubs you are interested in, and stick with those with "real" people.

Easier said than done, but your new mantra could be: "Here's a new chance, I'm going to meet some interesting new people and have fun." OK, there'll be ups and downs, and faking a positive attitude may sound stupid, but in this situation it can help until you feel happy about things for real. I'm a big believer in the self-fulfilling prophecy: You believe in something and it happens because you believe in it so much that your actions make it happen.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How to Approach People/Meeting People
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/000728.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/001665.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/000774.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/001643.html

which UC btw, California or Colorado? as for Uni. of California, each campus has a different vibe. I gotta say, they always kept it real up in Berkeley. gawd help you if you're at UCI or something, though.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinkPenguin06
Neophyte
Member # 26887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinkPenguin06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, mapquest, I know how you feel... it can feel like your surrounded by phonies a lot of the time (as in any book by Salinger). However it may be more the situation that is making you feel like this... its really tough trying to find your niche in a completely new environment, and usually takes time. I would say I still haven't found my niche in my high school, as environments like that can be so limiting. But the odds are, if you join some clubs that interest you, you'll find people that are like you, as they are interested in the same sort of things. Then there could be at least some bond. More likely people aren't as fake as you think; they are simply true in their own fashion.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.