Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » is he too young for me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is he too young for me?
fuzzybunny
Neophyte
Member # 27292

Icon 10 posted      Profile for fuzzybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my boyfriend recently brokeup with me and the other night, i met a really nice guy at a party and we ended up talking for a long time. i really like him and i want to pursue something with him. i had absolutely no doubts about asking him out on another date until i found out that he's two years behind me in school, menaing that he is probaly nineteen or so (I am 21). is this too young? no one thinks twice about a 19 year old girl dating a 21 year old guy, but i was wondering if it is okay to do such an age difference going the other way. i feel okay about it: i guess i am more worried about other people's perceptions. what do you think? chould i pursue this or just let it drop entirely?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 10 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you and he both are okay with it, there shouldn't be an issue.

You're both legal adults, and as such can make that decision for yourselves.

Pursue it if you want. You might find him to be an excellent partner, regardless of age.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
once you get out of your teens, a two year gap is pretty much negligible. a few of my closest galpals are going out with guys 2 years younger than them: 27+25, 23+21, 24+22, 20+18.

it's okay if you feel okay with it. consider what stage you both are in right now. are you both in school? are you both working? are you independent? it helps if you're on similar planes right now so it doesn't seem like your lives are too separate and you have trouble relating.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zander
Neophyte
Member # 23420

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Zander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well Fuzzybunny.

i dont know why you would care what other people think, it really does not matter what people say or think, really, just go with the flow, if he sound like a nice guy then get to know him better, what do you have to lose by getting to know him?. BUT if he turns out to be really immature then you have some choices to make, like ( is he worth you'r time?) or ( will it cause more problems dating him than not?)
the choice is you'rs.

Zander: hope i helped.

[This message has been edited by Zander (edited 02-14-2006).]

Posts: 28 | From: Hamilton | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fuzzybunny
Neophyte
Member # 27292

Icon 10 posted      Profile for fuzzybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so, i did some research (by talking to him) and found out that he is 18. so he is 18 and i am 21 and apparently, he hasn't dated before (i have) does anyone think this would be weird? i think that i am okay with it but i'm worried that i am robbing the cradle...
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if you JUST had a breakup the other evening, I'd suggest you give yourself to process that first -- let's say a few weeks? -- before starting to pursue a new relationship with ANYONE.
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.