Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » getting engaged too young?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: getting engaged too young?
kristy89
Neophyte
Member # 24692

Icon 10 posted      Profile for kristy89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi...welll my boyfriend and i have been dating for about 5 months... and im in high school ( 16.yrs old) ... anyways... i cant believe how much i care about him and think about him ... but ive been playing the hard to get for a while... and im starting to show some of my feelings now that hes shown his.. anyways... i truely believe we are in love ...
so the point to this is... we have been talking about getting engaged... and he kinda let it slip that he is going to ask me between now and the end of the year ( but closer to the summer) ... he also said that he almost asked me the other day.. but he didnt have a ring.. and he chickend out
now i have always been the kinda person that doesnt like it when people ( boyfriends) get too close....so in most cases i would be scared... but i am totally ok with this... like i want to be engaged to him
do you think this is ok?? ... like i realise i am only 16... and ive been told by my best friend that its a little crazy but she understands.... but thanx 4 ur time

Posts: 19 | From: orillia,ontario,canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i read an interview with the guy who started eHarmony a while back. he said he was very proud hat his website has had a higher rate of marriages than other similar websites, but generally discourages people from getting engaged till they have been dating for at least two years. i must say i agree -- there should be no hurry when it comes to marriage.

you're 16, and if you're asking us this question, then YOU have your own hesitations and reservations.

you can be engaged pretty indefinitely. there's no time limit here, and given that people can expect to live to almost 80, what's the rush? why not just keep it an option, and let your boyfriend save his pennies so you can get a really good ring (they ain't cheap, y'know).

one last thing to consider, you're 16 and i guarantee you will not be the same person three years from now, let alone 13 years from now, let alone 30 years from now. give him and give YOURSELF some time to grow. As you both mature and if you both are compatible, your relationship will mature, too. Of course, it doesn't always happen that way, and people figure out their values and goals don't mesh with those of their partners. eventually, they part ways.

so give it some thought and tell your guy to start a bank account so he can save money.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St_Megnolia
Neophyte
Member # 20234

Icon 10 posted      Profile for St_Megnolia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dude, I definatly remember what it felt like to be in love when I was 16. My boyfriend and I at the time even had plans to move to Halifax together after high school, we never wanted to leave each other's sides. AT the time I thought we would be together forever. It's that first love that you give everyhthing to because you've never been hurt before. It's truely beautiful and sometimes it does work out.
Just keep in your mind, though, that things can and do change, especially when you are young. Who knows, you and your boyfriend could very well grow and change in ways that are compatible to each other but you could also grow apart

My room mate said something that I think was pretty wise last night. She told me "You can not give 110% to sombody else until you know who you are, where you are going, what you want, what you need and how you want to be treated." She said "you can not expect anybody else to know how to treat you if you do not know how to treat yourself or how you would like to be treated".

Being in a time of change myself this really hit home and I think It may also ring a little true for you.
I guarentee you will not be the same person you were by the end of high school and I think you should embrace that things change and that you have your whole life ahead of you.
I definatly agree that there is no rush. Take your time, take it easy and figure yourself out. Change can be beautiful.

best wishes
-Margarite Louisiana Saximontana.

Posts: 11 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lotesseflower
Neophyte
Member # 27312

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lotesseflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met my boyfirend pretty young, and we've been together for a long time now. We've certainly talked about commitment, and here's how we've left it: we both know that, right now, we want to stay together. We also both know that things might change. We're going to seriously talk it over after I graduate from college, maybe make some decisions then. So I suppose we're sort of engaged, although there have been no rings involved.

Engagement seems like it can mean several things. For us, it's just an affirmation of our hopes that we'll be able to make things work out in the long run. but I would be wary of becoming engaged in the sense of a binding promise.

Posts: 31 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shy Kitten
Activist
Member # 27368

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Shy Kitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im with GumDrop Girl on this one. If you are having to quistion it then just play it cool till you have no doubts. 5 months isnt that long really.

To be honest im only 17 and im engaged, but Ive known him all my life and we have been in a serios relationship for over a year. Plus he is older then me and has the means to suport me. Remember you cant buy happiness, but be sure you can buy food for two lol

[This message has been edited by Shy Kitten (edited 02-06-2006).]

Posts: 47 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a question ...

Don't you think it's a good idea that you be able to support yourself before committing yourself to one person in such a way? What happens if plans fall through and you don't end up with him? Who supports you then?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shy Kitten
Activist
Member # 27368

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Shy Kitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actully that comment went both ways. I was simply stating teh fact that they are so young at least one of them should be able to suport them till the other finishes high school. I entend on getting a job weaather I get married or not, but at the moment it isnt possible. So if my fiancee couldnt get a job eather then it would be hard to live on our own.

thats what i ment ^ ^

Posts: 47 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.