Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » How do you say "NO" to some one asking you out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you say "NO" to some one asking you out?
amber_rose
Neophyte
Member # 27180

Icon 10 posted      Profile for amber_rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is this guy logan, i think, actually know, he likes me. He ALWAYS hangs around me, and tries to talk to me, and if another boy looks at me he'll give them a dirty look. i dont want people to think that i am going out with this guy. My friend asked him if he liked me. he said yes and that he is going to ask me out soon. How do i say no nicely? i'm a shy person.

The reason why i am saying no is because i have liked this other guy, caleb, for almost 1 yr. now. He is cute, kinda shy in a cute way, and the nicest boy i have ever met. This 19 yr. old (i'm 14 by the way) told me that he needed a nice girl like me, and that she has never heard him say one mean thing. calebs 15. his brother ben who's 13 said that he is the best brother ever. I just dont know how to say no to logan. any tips on caleb too. we're both to shy to ask eachother out. but we know eachothers names, and kinda hang out. i need some help.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghosty
Activist
Member # 17968

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ghosty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if it comes to the point that he asks you out, you can tell him that you can't go out with him.

Example:

Thank you for your offer, but I can't, my heart belongs to someone else.

or

It is nice of you asking me out, but I can't go out with you because I'm in love with someone else.

Or you get the point.
It's not about the no, it's about how you say it.

However if you feel that he is "hanging over" you too much, you should tell him that as soon as possible.

Just be straight and fair, and nice.

Posts: 79 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 10 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually don't see any need to tell him you're interested in someone else. Just a polite "no, thank you" should suffice.

If he presses you for an explanation you could either explain that his behavior has made you uncomfortable (assuming it has that is) or just say you're not interested in that kind of relationship with him.

Turning someone down can be touchy but it needn't become a big deal or a big drama.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amber_rose
Neophyte
Member # 27180

Icon 10 posted      Profile for amber_rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok thnx. i think i'll go with, i'm not interested in that kinda relationship. thats a very good one. thnx. oh ya, to keep you posted on caleb and me, we're passing out waters together for our church, we're teamed up. so i'll get to know him better. k, thnx everyone!
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.