Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » a chance to change my whole life

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a chance to change my whole life
ucmyscarsandcry
Neophyte
Member # 27150

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ucmyscarsandcry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, short verison; im 19 years old. I've moved out of my mom's house like twice already. but im death scared of my mother. I dont know why. She's only ever threatened me, never actually done anything.
and in my town, two of the guys who, well, i'll just say, did some damage to me in my life, are still kinda bothering me. I've been wanting to move away for a long while...like far away. now having said that, my girlfriend lives in athens where she goes to college. she just called me saying that she has me a place to stay. I'll be moving 2 1/2 hours away. and I dont know if I should or not. I've got a week to decide. this coming sunday she's coming to get me if I say yes. she has everything waiting for me. place to stay, food, everything. jobs are close by, i just dont know. and i need the advice.

Posts: 2 | From: Chatsworth, GA, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a heck of a question to be asking a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Were it me, i think i would need a little more than a week to think about this.

Have you been to Athens? Do you like it there? What if you can't get a job there? Could you move back home? Would your GF be able to support you? Would you have transportation back home if you wanted to visit?

I would think long and hard about this move, especially if this would damage your relationship with your mother.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghosty
Activist
Member # 17968

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ghosty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to a complete and diffrent country isn't an easy task. However you seem to know where to stay.

But I'm wondering, do you know what you are going to do there ? Are you sure you re going to get a job quick ? Or are you going to study?

Sure this if done right will be a very positive thing for you, but do you have a plan ?

What to do ?
Where to stay in the long run ?
How to fund your staying ?
Got any reserves ?
How many months you can be there without any income, etc.
For how long will you be there ?

Also you need to see what laws and regulations there are. It's not sure that you can work there if you have a tourist visum.

Really you need to sit down and start thinking about how to solve the issues.

Moving to another country, isn't like it is in the movies, it's much harder, many people return home quite fast. Trust me, I've watched my mother and father build their entire lives from scratch when we fled a war.
But they had some life experience, so they managed, but it wasn't easy for one day.

So don't just "follow your heart", start working with your head, figure out what you really want, and why you want it, then make a plan.
First then you'll know wether you want to go or not.
Just jupimping into this, will most likely end up being a bad bad experience. (However there are exceptions, but not many)

Posts: 79 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I belive the poster is referring to Athens, Georgia, not Athens, Greece. )
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghosty
Activist
Member # 17968

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ghosty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
(I belive the poster is referring to Athens, Georgia, not Athens, Greece. )

LOL.. Well, then I'm truly sorry... I'm not so familiar with those names. But never the less.. still all those questions may be used...

Posts: 79 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ucmyscarsandcry
Neophyte
Member # 27150

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ucmyscarsandcry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol yeah I was referring to Athens, Georiga, Im sorry i wasn't more sepcific on that issue. and yes, it is a loaded question to ask a bunch of strangers...but in the end, the strangers are what are going to tell me the truth. My friends are only telling me what they think i want to hear.
yes i have been there before. and its a really nice place actually. the situation is, im going down there for two weeks to see if i can get a job, and if i can, then i got a couple of friends who are giving me a place to crash for just about a month. that was the deal we made last night. and if i cant, then i'll be moving back home.

Posts: 2 | From: Chatsworth, GA, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a very sound idea ... Both going to check it out and knowing that you can go home if you have to.

Good luck.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.