Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » mother problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mother problems
SOMEBODY
Activist
Member # 17368

Icon 8 posted      Profile for SOMEBODY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay well, me and my bf were talking on the phone in my room and were talking about the Sybaris. Its a hotel for couples and its really romantic. ANyhow, my mom heard our conversation cuz she was being NOSY and now she is always trying to be all up in my business and thinks that im having sex which im not. I never mentioned to my bf about going there, we were just talking about it. Now she is trying to be all strict with me, making me be home all early, and is acting wierd. I tried talking to her, but she just doesnt understand. What should I do???
Posts: 129 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

Icon 6 posted      Profile for babygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over time, I have come to recognize that a parent's protection of their child is not a lost cause. Annoying as it is, it really can help you.

However, your mother does not know that in this case you are not 'in danger', per se. Could you try speaking to her in a calm manner about how you understand her concern but that you and your boyfriend were simply discussing the Sybaris out of curiosity or because you thought it was interesting?

I would recommend not trying to push your mother away too much, it could hurt her. Annoying as it is that she is prying into your business, I'm guessing she is just trying to look out for you.

------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

Posts: 150 | From: !USA! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with babygirl88.

And as much as it sucks right now, your mom has every right to be 'all up in your business' while you're living under her roof and she's providing all the necessities of life.

Talk to her. Though it'll be really easy to do, try not to get too defensive. If you're truely not doing anything wrong, there is no reason to be defensive. If you're honest with her and give her no reason to doubt you, she may lift these restrictions she has on you.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faded-Seaside-Glamour
Neophyte
Member # 27183

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Faded-Seaside-Glamour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly, talk to you Mum about the fact she invaded your privacy. Tactfully tell her that she needs to respect your privacy and that he should trust you and respect you enough to know that you aren't having sex. Find a way of telling her that it is unfair of her to tighten her rules because of a snippet of out-of-context conversation that she shouldn't have been listening to in the first place. Tell her that you are thankful that she is so caring and wants to protect you, but that is something was going on that you would tell her. It might be hard to say this stuff without causing a slight argument, but if you're gentl she should be pleaed you were adult enough to have this discussion.
Posts: 4 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.