Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » What's the lesser of the two evils?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the lesser of the two evils?
graceisgone
Neophyte
Member # 18938

Icon 9 posted      Profile for graceisgone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right so I see that there have been a few posts about long distance relationships so I'm going to try and attempt to make my question different...

There is a guy that I've known for over a year now...and we started talking nearly ten months ago. We've gotten very close and while we're NOT exclusive (as in...I'm not his girlfriend/he's not my boyfriend) we act rather exclusive. Also, I love him a great deal and I'm fairly certain in the fact that he loves me too. The problem is that in the fall, he's going to go back to the college he originally went to a few years ago because the university we BOTH attend right now doesn't have his desired major. This other college is about 2-3 hrs away. Then last night I overheard him tell a friend that he plans on moving up there this summer...to get an apartment and a job before school starts. The fact that this is only a couple of months away has slapped me with a dose of reality. I'm making no illusions (I'm not a very optimistic person) and I doubt that we'll still be as close once he moves away...especially since he WON'T have a car...and mine isn't so reliable--so now I'm left wondering if I should just end it now...or just enjoy what we have until it's done. Any advice or words of wisdom?

Posts: 25 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 10 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From somewhat, though slightly different, personal experience as it's happening in the present right now, I'd say stick with it and enjoy it while it's there.

You have a rational, realistic view of your relationship and the situation, which helps a good deal, and if it makes you happy, why not just see where things go?

The philosophy of "End it now to make it hurt less later." has always seemed ridiculous to me, plus, if you were to break things down now you'd really only be assuring you'd lose communication and you would grow more distant in the future.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.