Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Is This Wrong?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is This Wrong?
Kelsey_924
Neophyte
Member # 26185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey_924     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a 16 yr old that lives in Ohio. I am confused on what the law is here but I am currently talking to a 28 year old. I'm not for sure if we can get in trouble for talking and I want to know. I know that when a female turns 16 she is able to talk to who she wants due to the age of consent law here. But what I am confused about it HOW OLD the guy can be before he gets in trouble. I really like this guy and I have been talking to him forever. I feel that I am old enough to make my own decision. I see 25 year olds with 40 yr olds. Its normal. But when people look at a teenager being with someone in thier 20's people find it sick. I don't look at it like that. I just would like to know if we could get in trouble for being together.. Could someone please help me and answer my question correctly.
Question: Could 28 yr old get in trouble for dating a 16 yr old in Ohio??
Please give as much info as you can? I need help

------------------
Kelsey

Posts: 5 | From: Columbus Ohio 43228 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The age of consent in Ohio is 16.

Can a 28 year old get in trouble for dating you? No. Could he get in trouble for having sexual relations with you? No.

However, you should ask yourself what a 28 year old is doing with a 16 year old--there is a BIG difference, not just age wise. Why isn't he dating girls closer to his own age?There is life experience in those years. As to your example, there is still a lot of maturing that happens in between 16 and 25, and I'm not so sure that's a good comparison.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey_924
Neophyte
Member # 26185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey_924     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thak you for letting me know. Are you positive though because my friends are saying that he could still get in trouble...What if my parents complained? Could he get in trouble even if don't want hime to? Why does everyone use the word jail-bait then if people cant get in trouble?

------------------
Kelsey

Posts: 5 | From: Columbus Ohio 43228 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Kelsey, this is the second time you have posted this. Did you read the link I gave you?

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelsey, you are above the age of consent. If you are consenting to sexual activities, it is legal. It's really that easy.

If you are uncomfortable with this, perhaps you should consider seeking a new parter where the age difference is such to make you uneasy.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsay*Marie
Activist
Member # 26167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindsay*Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure you are aware of what jail-bait means, If not go to urbandictionary.com..Also i agree a 28 year old being with a 16 year old is kind of suspicious, not trying to lecture by all means be with him but think about soem things here, he should be wanting a family by now right? Yikes! Secondly older boys are more mature in the sex department and maybe some like to know they can have something lets say young and fresh, I dont think it is worth time to be used as a sex buddy and dropped..if you want to have sex yes maybe he is experienced but hey why not learn with the young fun boys! but ya know if you think i am just dumb than whatever if its not legal then rock on
Posts: 40 | From: duluth mn us | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsay*Marie
Activist
Member # 26167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindsay*Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oopsie i mean legal up there ^
Posts: 40 | From: duluth mn us | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lindsay Marie has stretched a really good point, as have others previously.

And consider, have you actually MET this guy? Or you have just talked, online and stuff? Because that is also importat. Don't rush into anything, keep in mind that you both have very different mentalities, and that what you want might not be exactly what you want. Interests will vary, and things that make you uncomfortable probably he thinks are okay, and things you like, he probably won't. Be open for everything.

Just think about it before you jump into something like that.

Love,
Leni

------------------
dive into shine, even a deep darkness changes into shine, because i am believing the moment

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey_924
Neophyte
Member # 26185

I am aware of what jail-bait means but I just didn't understand why people would day that if its my decision. I thought they would mean that my parent could put him in jail and that THE NUMBER ONE thing that I don't want to happen. I keep talking to different people about my situation and some people are telling me that if the guys is 10 years older than me then he COULD get in trouble. But I don't know if that it true. Another thing is, you guys is that I really like this guy. Im not like a normal teenager. I am more mature than most and I just don't like being with people my age because I find them to be very annoying and immature. This guy didn't want to be with me at first because he thought I would be annoying and childish, He has discovered the real me and thats why we want to be together. I have really never been with anyone that told until he came along and I have never liked anyone as much. Hes a great guy. We are just scared to be seen with eachother becuase we are both scared of the law. I just everyone to tell me the same thing.. I have researched many sites and it all just confuses me.
My question now is: Is it true if they are 10 years older than the minor, can they get in trouble??
Thanks you guys for the replys

------------------
Kelsey

Kelsey_924
Neophyte
Member # 26185

Leni: Yes I have been talking to this guy in person. I have never talked to him through the internet. I have been with this guy everyday for the passed 2 months
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Kelsey, did you even read the link that Bobolink gave to you?

You've asked this several times. You are 16. The age of consent is 16. Therefore, you are of consenting age and may have sexual interactions with anyone above the age of 16. A link to the actual law can be found here.

If you are not satisfied with the answer we have repeatedly provided you, then please consult a lawyer in your area.

------------------
Treat with respect the power you have to form an opinion--Marcus Aurelius

[This message has been edited by DarkChild717 (edited 11-18-2005).]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.