Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » balancing friends and my boyfriend, HELP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: balancing friends and my boyfriend, HELP
Member # 24617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mix_tape     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the homecoming dance is tomorrow night.

I had made plans with my friend and her other friends to go out to dinner at a certain place. Plans changed and now we're eating at a mall restaurant(not my idea of good food or fun). She also wants to meet at her house, way out of the way (45 minute drive from my house), before the dance. She also made a big deal out of reservations and how many people were allowed to eat at the table.

My boyfriend was not going to the dance until two nights ago I found out he decided to come. So we made sorta plans to go out to dinner with his friend and his date since we all can't be added to the reservations, nor does everyone know everyone.

My problem is trying to balance my friends and my boyfriend. I don't know how to tell my friend that her plans aren't going to be fun for me and I want to be with my boyfriend too. I will be with her during the dance and after when we go bowling. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but how can I tell her in a way that she won't get angry?

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I think your friend will be a bit upset no matter how you put it. So just be honest. Tell her you don't think the mall would be much fun. Tell her you've made alternate plans for dinner, but you'll see her at the dance.

Is your homecoming formal? If it is, I see no reason that you should not go to a nice resturant for dinner before hand. I've always considered that part of the experience.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 22679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Darkchild. First and foremost, you should worry about your best interests. If you don't feel comfortable with the idea of a mall restaurant, don't go. Your friend will forgive you if she really is a friend.
Posts: 86 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.