Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » worried about a friend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: worried about a friend
ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceresbaistat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the deal, in my group of friends, there's one who is always going off and dissapearing.

In my city, there are countless registered sex offenders and others we know have yet to be caught. Also, there are people who will kill in cold blood. There was a shooting two streets away from my house in broad daylight earlier this week.

That being said, it should be plain to anyone that it is unsafe for a curvy teenage girl to be wandering off alone and without telling anyone. Tonight, when we were all hanging out, wewent walking and she wandered off again. For half an hour, he didn't answer when we called for her annd wouldn't answer her cell phone. Needless to say we were worried.

After the half-hour, she juist kind of showed up out of nowhere. She won't tell us where she went or why she didn't tell us she was going anywhere. When we asked about her ignoring our calls and yells, she just shrugged us off. The two girls that have known her for years ended up screaming at her and crying, but she didn't care.

Any ideas on how to get through to her or at least convince her to be a little more sensiiblle?

Posts: 52 | From: Seabrook, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
watermongoose15
Activist
Member # 23441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for watermongoose15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow ugh i really dont know but just be upfront with her and tell her that she really needs to kinder to people because people, her friends care for her very much and that they worry about her safety especially in times of danger. Just be friendly to her tell her the truth of how you feel thats usually the best way to confront things

------------------
Give Peace A Chance
-John Lennon
War is Over if you want it
-John Lennon
Make Love not War
-John Lennon

Posts: 60 | From: Bonita, California, United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kisses Me Pink
Activist
Member # 24198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kisses Me Pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I would say talk to her, but since that doesn't seem to be working...is there any way you could pound it in to her head how dangerous it is?

To me, she doesn't sound like a very good friend if you say you're worried about her and she doesn't care. And her friends are crying and screaming and she doesn't care. Do you really want a friend like that? I wouldn't.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceresbaistat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being upfront has never helped in the four years I've known her, so I doubt it will now. As for her being a good friend, we've been through alot together, all of us, and it's not very easy to give up on her. She cares about the rest of us, it's herself she doesn't care about.
Posts: 52 | From: Seabrook, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoneInsaneBackAgain
Neophyte
Member # 25155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GoneInsaneBackAgain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's really herself she doesn't care about, I'd work on that and eventually she'll care about herself enought to stop walking off.

She sounds like a smart girl. Really, this isn't about her intelligence. It sounds like she gets a kick about getting everyone to worry about her.

What I would tell the "group" to do is simply not to say anything when she leaves, nor when she comes back. Unless she's going off to buy drugs or something, it sounds like she's doing this specificly to get a reaction. She likes the attention. Stop giving her the reaction, and she'll be less likely to try to acquire it that way. Try giving her attention for other things, so she won't feel the need to take stupid risks to acquire it.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

That may just work. Thanks, I'll try it.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.