Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » should I have sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: should I have sex?
twitchyactress
Neophyte
Member # 20680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twitchyactress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I are totally in love, and we both really want to have sex with echother. But I'm not sure if I'm ready to have sex with him. I have had sex before and so has he, but I just don't know if I'm ready with him...
Posts: 8 | From: PT, WA, USA(unfortunately) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because you've had sex before doesn't mean you have to have sex this time. That's the nice thing about making a choice for yourself.

If you don't feel ready, tell him. If he doesn't like it, then perhaps you should question whether or not you want to spend time with someone who doesn't respect your boundaries.

So, to help you figure out what YOU want, have a gander at our Readiness Checklist. It will help, I think, as it goes over the emotional, as well as the physical aspect of your decisions, whatever they may be.

Good luck!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twitchyactress
Neophyte
Member # 20680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twitchyactress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your reply. But I just want you to know that he would definately be ok with me not wanting to have sex yet. We've been together, off and on, for about a year now. He knows and respects my boundries with sex. I just don't know whether or not I am quite ready because of the time. we just got back together so I just don't know if I should or not. Thank you for your comment, it helped me realize that I didn't explain myself too well.
Posts: 8 | From: PT, WA, USA(unfortunately) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually, a good rule of thumb, always, is that if some part of your brain is syaing it's not time just yet, wait.

Since sex will always keep, there's really never any harm in waiting; we can't say the same of rushing, both in terms of emotional readiness AND pure enjoyment.

So, when some part of your brain stops thinking, "It feels a little too soon," then it probably won't be.

Posts: 67063 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kudos to you for thinking responsibly! It's definitely better to think these things through now than to regret it later. It sounds like you want to wait despite temptation, and there is nothing wrong with waiting. You should talk to you boyfriend, and tell him just what you said here. If he doesn't understand he's not worth waiting for anyway.
Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fluffypink
Neophyte
Member # 25093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fluffypink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im not trying to say you should but have you considered why you were ready to have sex with someone else, but with the man you love youre not?
Posts: 22 | From: miss, on, canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, fluffy, it's normal for sexual readiness to not be a one-shot deal.

In other words, for every partner a paerson has, they generally go through a whole process of readiness, and love alone -- of any sort, romantic or otherwise -- doesn't dictate readiness because so many factors are involved.

In fact, sometimes, a person can feel LESS ready the stronger their feelings are for a partner because the level of emotional vulnerability, what's at stake to lose, etc. is higher.

Posts: 67063 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.