Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » How long before "I love you"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long before "I love you"?
anglchik
Neophyte
Member # 23802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anglchik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious how long (or short) of a time it's taken people to say, or hear "I love you" from a significant other? (and really mean it) I can't say I've fallen in "love at first site" but i think it's really cool and romantic sounding And how many times have some of you really truely fallen in love? Just curious

*hugs*

Posts: 4 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus9
Activist
Member # 22679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first whispered those words to my girlfriend about 3 weeks ago. So that would make it about 3-4 months since we started going out. Although she is my first girlfriend, we didn't rush into things right away. It took time to build up trust and be truly comfortable with each other.

I really looked at it from multiple angles. The fact that I didn't want to hook up with her at first sight and became attracted to her as I started to discover her personality really helped me determine that it wasn't infatuation. At least the normal kind. I also saw that I could function without her, but really appreciated the time I spent with her. That, and we trust each other to be around the opposite sex and we don't feel the need to constantly check up on each other.

Posts: 86 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brite Crayon83
Activist
Member # 23517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brite Crayon83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a ton of posts on this subject already--check them out:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/000511.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/000932.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/001387.html

Posts: 74 | From: Rhode Island, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceresbaistat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew by boyfriend for about six months before we seemed to fall for each other. In our case, "I love you" came when admitting our feelings to each other.
Posts: 52 | From: Seabrook, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CEC523
Activist
Member # 23120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CEC523     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I have been together for eight months. He insisted that he loved me almost right away. At the time, a family friend who was going through a rough relationship told him not to say "I love you" too soon because it would scare me. He told me about the conversation and for a long time, I could see the look on his face - when he was going to say it and held it back.

Eventually, I was the one who said it. I can't remember when it was - I have it written in my journal, which unfortnately isn't here - but we were in bed, just laying around, kissing and talking, and I looked at him and I was just so happy. The look on his face when I said it was priceless. And he said, "You do?" And I said, "I really do." And from there, he proceeded to tell me how hard it had been for him to hold back and that he was really happy that we were on the same page, blah blah blah. It was funny.

------------------
"Talking about music is like talking about sex. Can you describe it?"
-Bruce Springsteen

Posts: 124 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IKissedDaEasterBunny224
Neophyte
Member # 23868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IKissedDaEasterBunny224     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not one to lie so i'm just going to come out with it. These days, when teenagers say I love you, it's like they just say it to say it. It's so overrated. Honestly, I don't think teenager's know the true meaning of I love you after like 3 weeks. I think it takes a series of months to really understand and feel, but everyone is different.

------------------
- Trapped in a Lie - My Dazed Lullaby -

Posts: 3 | From: Odenville, Alabama, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brite Crayon83
Activist
Member # 23517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brite Crayon83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bunny--

While I agree with you that alot of teens just say 'I love you' to say it. It doesnt mean that it doesnt happened quickly, ever.

Me and my boyfriend have been going out for months now. But we began to develop feelings of love only after 2 wks!!! I know its unbelievable. We plan to spend the rest of our life together. We are both 21, and are extremely happy together.

So its not to say it doesnt happen after 3 wks. I agree that its very rare, but Im a true example that it *can* happen.

Posts: 74 | From: Rhode Island, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exclusiveliz
Activist
Member # 23460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exclusiveliz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend told me he loved me about 4 months from when we started going out and now we've been together for almost 2 years...
Posts: 64 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It took about 4 months for my SO and I to tell each other we loved one another. That was back in 2002. But, before that, he had to earn my trust and I his. That took a couple months.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorry
Neophyte
Member # 22208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually only say it if i mean it.
I dont like misleading a girl, so i only say those words when i really mean them.
And sometimes i worry if those words are just going to get me hurt in the end...

------------------
"We cannot dwell on the past, we can only look forward to the future"

Posts: 22 | From: Everett | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigerlilly
Neophyte
Member # 21954

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tigerlilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my boyfriend and i have been together 2 years and six months...we haven't said i love you....but it gets to a point were you just know it...

Posts: 9 | From: ct, Berks, England | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shon
Activist
Member # 23008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think it was about a few months into my great relationship, so far its been said lots of times, and may have lost its meaning for a bit, ( we faught over ''space'') now we cant get enough of another but still need space, anyway no matter when you say it or he does, make sure u mean it, and dont say it too much as yes the novelty wears thin after a while.. those words can make you soo happy, just dont do a Ryan (the O.c) and reply with a thankyou!

i also agree with tigerlilly - ive been with my bf for 9months now, we kinda just dont need to say it, we have this underlying love anyway, true feeling sont always need to be heard
love you

[This message has been edited by shon (edited 06-15-2005).]

[This message has been edited by shon (edited 06-17-2005).]

Posts: 49 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phswimmer16
Neophyte
Member # 23920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phswimmer16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I started going out with my boyfriend, I was friends with him for three years. We tried to go out Sophomore year, but i was not ready for that kind of commitment, so we finally decided to start dating our junior year. We decided to take things slow because we didnt want to rush into anything to fast. We didnt have our first kiss until after we had been going out for a couple of months. My boyfriend was the first person to say that he loved me and i knew from the instant he said that, that it was true. It took him four months to have the courage to say that. Just tell the person that you are dating, when the time is right for you. Dont decide on when other people did it because that person might have gone to fast or too slow for you. My boyfriend and I have been going out almost a year and our relationship has never better!
Posts: 7 | From: turlock, ca | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommy4life15
Activist
Member # 21345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommy4life15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew my boyfriend 4-5 months before going out with him. The first time I said "I Love You" was the night of our 2 month anniversary. So about 6 months after I met him. And we're still together a year and a half later.

[This message has been edited by mommy4life15 (edited 06-16-2005).]

Posts: 51 | From: florida | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xXLovealwaysnforeverXx
Neophyte
Member # 24011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xXLovealwaysnforeverXx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well let's see.. I met my boyfriend in May of 2004 at a friend's party but i was dating someone else at the time.. we didn't end up talking until (next school year) august and then we started dating around homecoming.. we were seeing eachother for 3 weeks unti he "officially asked me out" and so we started officially being a couple in october and then both said i love you in march.. so actually it took us awhile.. And we still love eachother and say it everyday.. He's the only one i've ever loved but i was his second.. so that was okay i guess.. but i truely love him ..
Posts: 14 | From: West Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
golden_lily
Neophyte
Member # 18231

Icon 1 posted      Profile for golden_lily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually told my boyfriend I was in love with him before we started dating. We'd been friends online for a year and a half or so and there was a girl who was flirting with him so much and he couldn't understand why I was getting upset about it and then one night we were talking and I was like "It's because I'm in love with you!" That was almost 2 years ago and we're still together.
Posts: 17 | From: Ohio | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hot4nerds
Neophyte
Member # 19419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hot4nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend told me he loved me about a month (or less) into our relationship and I liked him then, but didn't have strong enough feelings to say "I love you" back. When he told me I flushed and responded with "Oh...how...nice..." Yes, not the most sensitive responce I know especially after I told my closest friends (who actually happen to be dating each other) and my guy friend told me that was a horrible way to go about it.

We've been together for 1 year and 6-7 months now and I really felt it about 3 months into our relationship and could say it comfortably. Which I'm glad because we're so good for each other. We're like the same person--minus the fact of different antomy's. (spelling?)

Posts: 38 | From: Albany, Ny | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.