Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Promise Rings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Promise Rings
momomo
Activist
Member # 8636

Icon 10 posted      Profile for momomo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't sure if this was the right place for this topic, feel free to move it!
1) What do you guys think about promsie rings? what do they mean to you? I've heard that its like.. an engagement to be engaged, but does it necesarily have to mean that? Do you think it could be like... I promise I love you?
2) What would be an appropriate promise ring for a guy? like... a band? and for what finger? Thanks so much for your input!

Posts: 273 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiny chic
Neophyte
Member # 23221

Icon 10 posted      Profile for tiny chic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend gave me a promise ring for my birthday. I've gone to different websites to see what they mean and what other people think about them. It can mean whatever you want it too. For me it means that he promises to marry me one day. If you want it to mean a promise that you love him then thats fine, just make sure you talk to each other about the meaning of the ring first. As for which finger to where it on that up to you, I think most the time its worn on the right ring finger.
Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RUDeelite08
Neophyte
Member # 23364

Icon 10 posted      Profile for RUDeelite08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i found this website about it because my boyfriend and i are looking into it...
im intrigued by the meanings and all that as well..
hope this helps! http://www.promise-rings.info/

------------------
*Contraceptives should be used at every conceivable occassion*

Posts: 37 | From: Spotswood.NJ.USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenna D.
Activist
Member # 18964

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jenna D.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend and her ex-boyfriend did the promise ring thing. I don't know what theirs meant to them, but I do know that hers was a cute white gold one and his was just a plain gold band. College ended up driving them apart, though.
Posts: 72 | From: Scarborough, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we've got a thread about pre-engagements. It's pretty intersting conversation. Have a looksie http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/005561.html

but as a personal opinion, i think promise rings are silly. if you're gonna buy someone a rock, you oughtta save your money for a really good one. how about a nice necklace, instead?

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brite Crayon83
Activist
Member # 23517

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Brite Crayon83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really really like the idea of a promise ring.

I went and looked up claddagh rings on ebay and came accross some really cheap, really pretty ones, so check it out if youre interested.

I was wondering tho, how do I mention maybe getting promise rings for me and my boyfriend? Im a lil worried about bringing up that topic. I dont want him to think anything of it. Should I just be straight up?

Posts: 74 | From: Rhode Island, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CEC523
Activist
Member # 23120

Icon 10 posted      Profile for CEC523     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, I was always confused about promise rings. I always thought they were like the "Save Sex" rings, or do those have a different name?

------------------
"Talking about music is like talking about sex. Can you describe it?"
-Bruce Springsteen

Posts: 124 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thetimehascome
Neophyte
Member # 23660

Icon 10 posted      Profile for thetimehascome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can mean saving yourself for each other, like everyone said it has different meanings for different people. They tend to have "religious" symbols on the rings though if they're meant for that.
Posts: 22 | From: PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.