Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Should I be closing my eyes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I be closing my eyes?
Gothicgurlie
Activist
Member # 16336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gothicgurlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure where this goes but...
When me and my girlfriend kiss I don't close my eyes. People say you should close your eyes and I don't. I mean I never really realized it before,but it makes me wonder if it is wrong to do. So should I be closing my eyes when we kiss?

------------------
If it's hurting you have acomplished more in life than most.-Brandy aka(me)

Posts: 77 | From: Roanoke,Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Applefritter
Neophyte
Member # 7165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Applefritter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people find it sensual to keep their eyes open when they kiss. Some find it more comfortable and relaxing to close their eyes.

Really, there is no right or wrong way to do this. It's a preference. Try both and see which one you like best. If you like both, alternate!

Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I close my eyes because something that close strains them, and causes pain. Why would I want kissing to hurt?

It often involves a lot of laughing and giggling too, so I instinctivley close my eyes for that.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlet
Activist
Member # 20305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starlet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Applefritter said, it's a personal preference thing. Does it make your girlfriend uncomfortable? If you and her both don't mind, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Sometimes I'll kiss with my eyes open. Whatever feels the most natural at the time.

------------------
.:*starlet

Posts: 131 | From: VA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzygs
Neophyte
Member # 20116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzygs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i do both. sometimes i like to see the girl i'm kissing and her facial expressions/reactions. other times i just like to close my eyes and lose myself in the moment. as said before, it's all in personal preference.
Posts: 15 | From: vermont | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
domncroxd
Activist
Member # 20869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for domncroxd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well...the reason why people close their eyes while kissing is because there's a sensory overload - the kissing coupled with an up-close look of your partner can sometimes be a bit overwhelming. but it's certainly not weird or anything if you don't close your eyes.
Posts: 53 | From: Melbourne, Australi | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TreeKiller
Neophyte
Member # 19647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TreeKiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a matter of "how you like to do it" wich ranges from one person to another i like to close my eyes and just get lost in the moment but i just open my eyes a bit sometimes for guidence(for a first time kisser this would be a good idea)
Posts: 23 | From: Quebec | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skyhotel
Neophyte
Member # 21181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skyhotel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I for one shut my eyes but you should do whatever feels natural for you
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christinejones
Activist
Member # 19128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christinejones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and maybe cutting off the sensory input from one sense into the brain can heighten the others?
so if your eyes are closed your other senses of smell, touch, taste etc. etc. are prioritised without the sight one dominating and squashing down those other ones. just a thought? but do whatever feels best to you.........

Posts: 139 | From: los angeles | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrimsonCriminal
Activist
Member # 20650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrimsonCriminal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, everyone is different, and listening to other people's recomendations as to what you "should" do isn't always helpful.What's right for the majority isn't always right for you, as you're a unique person

I agree with Christine on this actually, about the switch in senses. It just depends on what senses people prefer.

Posts: 105 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first kissed a boy, I shut my eyes, mostly because I had been told that's what you do. But as I got into my second (and current) relationship, and got more comfortable with him, I'd peek my eyes open a bit, and found he was looking at me too. We'd giggle for a few minutes. I think knowing he was doing the same thing I was really helped the intimacy. Talk to your girlfriend about what SHE thinks about it

------------------
Advertising on Police cars...police cars...

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.