Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Friends?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friends?
buzz_bomb
Neophyte
Member # 18198

Icon 9 posted      Profile for buzz_bomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Iím 16 and in high school. Last week I went through a particularly stressful time at school. I was angry and I took it out on my best girl-friend. Iím a very academically competitive person and whenever I achieve anything short of perfection I become very distraught. I donít know why but I felt jealous of my friendís success and for the entire week I just couldnít speak to her or see her. I think I just felt to embarrassed because I have had this major crush on her for the last 3 years and ever since then I have tried to impress her. I donít know why because nothing will ever ďhappenĒ between us (long story), I just have this perverse urge to impress her. But for the past 3 years weíve still been the best of friends, that is until she got really pissed at me for acting that way I did. Now a week has gone by and Iím really starting to regret the way I treated her. I donít have anyone to laugh with, have fun, or make jokes with. Iíve tried being nice to her again but sheís not going for that. She says that she thinks ďIím a jerkĒ and we have pretended we were strangers for the last week. I donít know what to do. I need advice on how I can mend our friendship and deal with this nagging crush thatís been bothering me for years. Lol. Thanks.
Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you suddenly refused to see or speak to her for a week, through no fault of hers, then yes, I can see why she's angry at you.

Sometimes, you have to swallow your pride and admit something like, "You're right, I was acting like a jerk last week. But I was having a stressful time, and I'm really sorry."

Then it's up to her whether she wants to resume the friendship.

How you deal with the crush is another question, and there are no easy ways to make an unrequited crush vanish (alas). But what you can do is ask yourself whether you want to let the crush sabotage your friendship, as it seems to be doing.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smilee_kylie
Activist
Member # 20046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilee_kylie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in this long story about why you couldn't ever possibly be with her...
Posts: 58 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buzz_bomb
Neophyte
Member # 18198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buzz_bomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is in response to smilee_kylie: I met my girl-friend at the beginning of high school in 9th grade. I am surprised that we ever became friends because neither one of us share many common interests. Nonetheless we have been friends ever since. I have observed that she is a very introverted person and tends to limit her social interaction in and out of class. She is a very smart and beautiful person and I admire her sense of maturity and responsibility. She and I are both socially conservative people and I donít believe she would be comfortable in a ďdatingĒ scene. My peers would be the last people to suspect me of ďgoing outĒ with anyone. And down to the basics, she just ďainítĒ physically attracted to me. On a superficial level we are opposites on to many ways to describe and I know I donít fit her definition of attractive. I donít why, but I feel comfortable near her. She doesnít even need to do anything or say anything but I still feel attracted to her. Iíve become her close friend and a sort of ďMr. ReliableĒ but nothing more. It seems utterly impossible to resolve these subtle differences between us and thatís why nothing will ever happen.
Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.