Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Whats Wrong With Me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats Wrong With Me?
richard77
Activist
Member # 17257

Icon 8 posted      Profile for richard77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been a problem that I have had for quite a while now a couple of years at least.

It is a little complicated I don't really understand it myself but I want to try and make sense of it confront it and defeat it.

When I go out with friends sometimes there are strangers in the group and sometimes there are not. I sometimes feel myself becomming very withdrawn and angry and I sit in the crowd very quiet. It happens quite a lot but not always sometimes I am in a very good mood.

Just recently I had a very good day and I was looking forward to going out to my best friends birthday party and before I went out I said to myself that I was not going to be moody or unhappy I was going to have a good night.

However when I went out I became typically moody and quiet I was very unhappy and did not talk to anyone I just cant explain why this happens I had taken no drink at the time and I don't take drugs at all.

Can someone explain this flaw that I have.

Thanks

Posts: 66 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCJoel
Activist
Member # 15538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MCJoel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's really a typical characteristic of being a teenager. I myself tend to get moody sometimes, or sad, and I don't really know why, or even if I do, I just can't help feeling that way. The way I see it it's normal and shouldn't be something you worry about that much, unless it becomes a very often thing and really causes you rather big problems (with family or friends). Try changing your routine, your activity...try doing sport and try, above all not to think about it too much and give it too much thought. If the problems you have can be solved, there's no need to worry and if they can't..then nothing good will come out of worrying about them like one tends to do. hope that helped...
Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richard77
Activist
Member # 17257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richard77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MCJoel:
I guess it's really a typical characteristic of being a teenager. I myself tend to get moody sometimes, or sad, and I don't really know why, or even if I do, I just can't help feeling that way. The way I see it it's normal and shouldn't be something you worry about that much, unless it becomes a very often thing and really causes you rather big problems (with family or friends). Try changing your routine, your activity...try doing sport and try, above all not to think about it too much and give it too much thought. If the problems you have can be solved, there's no need to worry and if they can't..then nothing good will come out of worrying about them like one tends to do. hope that helped...

Thank you for that McJoel

I am however not a teenager I am almost 21. This problem has been quite frequent as of late and I just can't explain it. The last 10 times I have went out with friends I have suffered from it and I know that it is not a good reflection on me and I would like to defeat it. I don't tend to dwell on it too much but it has a habbit of showing its ugly head too ofen at times that should be happy ones.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCJoel
Activist
Member # 15538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MCJoel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's not exclusively a problem you have while you are a teenager. I, for one, am 20 years old and I do tend to get upset for no particular reason at times when I shouldn't. What have I learned with this?
Well, firstly, you have to realise that many people, indeed most tend to have problems of their own, so you're not alone in dealing with yours. One tends to think that one's problems are the biggest or the only ones and that's not true. Don't beat yourself about that...it just happens, nothing's perfect. So, what can you do to improve things? What I do, and that's just my humble experience, is I try to do the things which make me happy and forget about the things which I know would make me really happy but I simply can't control. For instance, I like do exercise, but I can't control the fact that there are issues with my brother over which I can do nothing. It's a matter of understanding your situation, who you are, what you like and don't like, what you can do to improve your life and that of the people close to you and what you simply can't. My belief, and I know I'm sounding like some sort of psychology guru I'm sorry, is that today's society imposes people too many pressures. I think you don't need to respond to them and you have to just be yourself, I know it takes time, and I know the concept is rather flimsy but hell, change what you can change, accept what you can't change and find out the difference between them (cliche frase I know sorry). Trust me you are not alone, everyone´s got things stored up inside.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smilee_kylie
Activist
Member # 20046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilee_kylie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming you are female? In which case it is completely normal. Unfortunately, with being female comes all sorts of strange moods. I can relate to what you are saying a lot. I find myself become really reclusive when I'm going out with my friends sometimes. You mentioned sometimes it is with strangers. I tend to be a bit more like that when people I don't know are with me because I feel I can't be myself. But with my really good friends I can be myself and do what i want and I feel fine. Sometimes, even if it is just my good friends, I just don't feel in the mood. Usually this is because I am tired or for other reasons. Can you think of any little factors at all that contribute to you being all quiet and reclusive. Are your friends not paying attention to you? Is the atmosphere boring? Have you got other things in your mind? Ultimately, this is completely normal. But maybe try to keep the atmosphere alive by making sure you do something interesting or let your friends know that you need to keep your mood up or you get all reclusive. Whatever goes really.
Posts: 58 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Actually, kylie, mood swings are by no means the sole property of women. Mood swings are just as common in men. Moreover, as someone already mentioned, when you're in the swing of massive development, with a lot of hormonal changes, mood swings -- for both genders -- are very typical.)

Richard: it sounds like it's possible you may simply be experincing some social anxiety.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richard77
Activist
Member # 17257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richard77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone thanks very much for your replies.

I am in fact a male but some of the things you are saying do make sense.

I don't do much sport howver I am planning to take up one which will occupy me one night per week which might help.

smilee_kylie I think you are right when you say that I may get in these mood swings when I'm not getting attention from my friends. I know it sounds vain but its true for example there was this person whom I got on very well with at school and we were almost best friends and there is this other person whom I am best friends with. When I was out one night I invited the two out and they got along really well and I was clearly left out and me and the boy I went to school with no longer get on well with each other but he gets on really well with my best friend. When we were out together recently I didn't talk much at all to the boy I used to go to school with but he got on really well with my best friend and I just seemed to be frustrated and jealous. I know its sad and pathetic and its not the person I want to ber I really want to change and end this stupidity.

How can I do this?

*~*DarkNight*~*
Neophyte
Member # 20741

Icon 3 posted      Profile for *~*DarkNight*~*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldnt really think about it much.... just try to keep yourself in a good mood.... This happens to me sometimes too. It usually helps me to close my eyes and count to ten and then try to get into the conversation or whatever is happening. Ihope this helps you in some way!!!
Posts: 3 | From: Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.