Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Friendships With Opposite Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friendships With Opposite Sex
Ztloj
Neophyte
Member # 19637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ztloj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have many male friends, far more than female. We tend to talk easily and openly, and have plenty of fun together, yet there always seems to be some emotional barrier there. With my female friends, I feel genuninely happy or sad or anything. But with my male friends, emotions seem restrained, muted... The thing is, I'm not really sure why. The way I interact with male and female friends isn't that different. I want to be more relaxed and myself around the boys I love.

I guess my question is, does/has anyone had similar feelings? If so, how does one overcome them?

Posts: 22 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like sexual tension to me. Not really to overcome it, but to deal with it. It's not a challenge, but a fact instead. I would just talk?
Posts: 203 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smilee_kylie
Activist
Member # 20046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilee_kylie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats completely normal. Because they are the opposite sex they aren't going to be able to relate to you as well as females do on an emotional level. Males and females were made different this way and this is most probably the explanation for this. Its not about how to overcome it, but what you and even your male friends are comfortable with. I have a lot of male friends too. Some of them my emotions are restrained, but I do have a select few I feel I can be totally open with because I and them feel comfortable with it and we are very good friends. These feelings won't get in the way of your friendships, so there's no need to worry. It is actually quite healthy at the same time because it keeps that difference between your female friends and male friends.
Posts: 58 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually kylie, there's really nothing to support the idea that men and women are biologically or innately different when it comes to communicating with one another, or with their same sex. There's certainly evidence to support that social conditioning may play a big part, but very little to suggest those issues are nature, rather than nurture.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

Why you should VOTE (or, why I finally tell you how to wax your Bush.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.