Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » I had to let him go

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I had to let him go
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was with my boyfriend for a year and a half. This was my first true relationship and the boy i lost my virginity to. I fell in love with him i would do anything at all for him. He wanted to get married and have kids together and i told him i wanted the same. And then this year I just turned 17 and had surgery and it really hit me about my youth. I am not ready to be in a relationship for the rest of my life. I dont know if he is what i want for the rest of my life. And I became very unhappy, wishing i was somewhere else. I became so deeply involved that i didnt know what type of music I like or what kind of activities I enjoy. All I know is I felt trapped, and so very young. My emotions would swing from loving him to hating him.

But I had to let go. I've been telling him for a week I wanted to go out on my own and experience other things. But last night is when it really hit him and excepted what I wanted. He did not take it easily, nor did I but I kept most of it in. He said I'm the only person he has and he can't live without me. I feel so horrible and I still love him but thats another thing I learned, Love is not enough to keep a relationship going. I wanted to make sure he is okay but i need my time and need to sort out myself.
Does anyone think this was the right thing to do?? Or is there a way to sort this out together even though we've been trying??

Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nmcowgirl87
Activist
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nmcowgirl87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's ok sweetie, you'll get through this *hugs*

The bottom line is that you need to do what's right for you. Part of loving someone is being able to let them go. If you don't feel ready for this relationship, staying in it isn't going to benefit either of you. It will be hard on the guy, but in the long run it's better for him to find someone that IS ready for the type of relationship he wants than to stay with you and be oblivious to your feelings and emotions, which is what he'd have to do if you stayed together. You've had a life changing experience, and it's ok that you've become a different person. We all grow and change, it's just part of life. No one can look in a crystal ball and tell you for sure whether or not you did that right thing, but it sounds to me like you did.

Hang in there, it gets better!

XOXOX,
Tab

------------------
Ride it like you stole it!

Posts: 64 | From: Carlsbad, NM USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.