Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Online love... is it real?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Online love... is it real?
Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello people!

Imagine this scenario:

You are on a forum, and you meet someone. You start talking over messenger, see each other with webcam, and after a while you realize you like each other a lot.

Your friends tell you you are crazy, but are you really?

Is this really love what you feel?

What do you guys think about stuff like that?

Leni

------------------
dive into shine, even a deep darkness changes into shine, because i am believing the moment

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a whole article all about this:

Getting Real: Relationships on the Net

Meeting people online can certainly lead to love, but I'd be very wary about deciding that you're "in love" or committing yourself to a relationship before you've actually met someone in person.

Via the net, you only get to know a person in one particular context. So there are a whole lot of things that can come as a big surprise when you meet up.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jethreau'shumblewife
Activist
Member # 17147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jethreau'shumblewife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ahh...I'm still dealing with this from about two years ago...I believe love is possible, but keeping your head below the clouds is VERY IMPORTANT! In my experiences, there was always the mentioning and the desire to meet in person, but he's always been very flaky about it...can't say I blame him, considering the distance between us, but it gets heart-wrenching.

I feel that the best thing to do is acknowledge your feelings and share them with this person and nothing more; I loved this guy, and I suppose I still do (to a lesser degree and as a friend), but that will NOT stop me from pursuing someone I know in real life.
It can be tough, but you have to brace yourself for let-downs and emotional pain from lack of physical contact (I'm not talking about sex necessarily). This may sound awful but sometimes it's easier to keep yourself from loving him/her so that you're not so vulnerable. (Not to imply that vulnerability is always a bad thing)

I hope I haven't ranted too much.

------------------
would you forgive me, love, if I danced in your shower?

Posts: 59 | From: CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call it ranting.

I appreciate all kinds of opinions

I'll read the article. Please keep on giving your opinions

I find myself in a situation like that already. And in a way it is frustrating. Two friends of mine are like that as well, so I was wondering.

Leni

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frozendreams
Activist
Member # 7638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frozendreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my uncle met his wife online and they have been married since i think 2001. and they have a 4 month old baby together now. so i know it works some times. you just have to be really careful when meeting people in person, not everyone is who they say they are.

------------------
formerly unhappykoger

Posts: 118 | From: dayton ohio usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.