Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » How to Cope with a Breakup

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to Cope with a Breakup
XCatFightX
Activist
Member # 14419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XCatFightX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of us have had our hearts broken at least once. After a breakup, picking up the pieces and moving on is a cliche that doesn't cut it for most people. There's a very real process not all too different than grieving that people go through, rather or not they wanted the breakup. I thought it would be a good idea to start a list (please add on to it!) of ways to heal or at the very least distract yourself after splitting up with your significant other.

-Write (Journal, poetry, heck-write a book!)
-Take up a new activity
-Go to the library for no particular reason
-Take a bubblebath
-Go out for coffee with an old friend
-Go for a walk
-Give yourself a manicure
-Read children's books

Add on...

------------------
"My art forgot her tampon and she's bleeding through her jeans, yeah my art don't need no tampon she'll just bleed through her jeans"-Alix Olson

Posts: 47 | From: Maine, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I did after my last breakup:

I got a personal trainer and buried whatever emotional pain I was feeling in real, physical pain. I gained a lot of muscle in the process and developed some pretty good habits, including an acquired tolerance for leafy greens. I even ran a 5k yesterday! You can read about my experiences at the gym in the Gen. Health forum.

Then I sought some comfort in an old friend. Rebound sex? Yes. But so far, it's translating into a very nice relationship. I'm euphoric.

And last but not least, I moved to the other end of the state and stopped talking to my ex. Maybe someday I'll be ready to talk to him, but by then I don't think I'll have any reason to.

------------------
Be the doctor your parents always wanted you to marry.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duelist
Neophyte
Member # 14471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duelist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after my first break up I made a list about things that made me happy. Just random things (puppies, etc). And I cleaned my room a lot.

Second break up was actually totally devastating for me, so I wrote my ex a really long letter pouring everything I felt into itand didn't send it. I found that to be a really good way of coping, just to see it all out on paper. I would recommend that!

- Duelist

[This message has been edited by duelist (edited 11-04-2003).]

Posts: 37 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's all about the social support networks. if there's something wrong, talk about it to your friends, and it will make you feel so much better. i practically guarantee.

also, find new activities to do. branching out always helps.

and, as a coping strategy, i usually hide things that remind me of my ex for a while after the breakup. it just helps.

for the record, I just broke up with my first serious boyfriend yesterday, so I don't think this thread could have come at a more oppurtune time.

------------------
I don't wanna be like other people are
Don't wanna own a key, don't wanna wash my car
Don't wanna have to work like other people do
I want it to be free, I want it to be true
(New Order)

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pure_suga
Neophyte
Member # 10428

Icon 7 posted      Profile for pure_suga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
stupid breakups...lol, i don't think i dealt with it in the best way, but here's some stuff that actually helped me

-partying until i DROPPED...hey you're single...very attractive, good ego boost
-working out
-blasting the music in your room to music that can't help but make you dance
-crying your heart out to slowjams
-getting a new haircut/style/dye...fresh start right?
-watch a movie or play or something with a friend you haven't seen in a while

some things that DIDN'T help, tho...

-having sex with a guy at a party i knew he was at to make him jealous
-punching my mirror and cutting up my hand
-drinking like an insane alcoholic at parties and crying and puking by the end of the night (i know i said to party, but PARTY SAFE)

Posts: 18 | From: winnipeg | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.