Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » What a baby!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What a baby!
duelist
Neophyte
Member # 14471

Icon 13 posted      Profile for duelist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend and I got into a petty fight recently, because I disagreed with something she had written in her online journal. She said something along the lines of, "Fine, would you feel better if I erased it?" I of course said no, I didn't care what she put on it, I was just saying that I disagreed. "Too late," she said, and that portion of her post was promptly erased. She then wanted to reconcile and changed the subject, asking me what I was doing. I took *two minutes* before I could answer, and as a result she said "Nevermind then," and got offline. :\ It's been a few days and we haven't spoken, and I know it's silly. I just don't think I'm at fault for any of this. Should I apologize anyway?
Posts: 37 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about you initiate a conversation maturely about what you're comfortable with her saying about you, or recounting of your words, publicly?

Online journals are tricky, tricky business (I know all about it, I've kept one since the dark ages that has thousands of readers a day). And some of making them work is being able to work with the privacy the people in your life want and need.

So, if it's about you, you do get to have a say and ask for what boundaries you need. If it isn't, she gets to express herself as she likes.

But I'd go ahead and bridge the gap before it gets too wide if this is a friend you want to keep. There's never any shame or harm in being a peacekeeper.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XCatFightX
Activist
Member # 14419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XCatFightX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you could suggest that she either check with you before posting about you or make the entry a private one if there is even a question.

I know all too well about the livejournal wars that can erupt. The fact is, it's a journal and I think people sometimes misuse it to indirectly confront someone-and then, some people have forgotten from time to time that it actually does get read.

LiveJournals are funny because the point of a journal or diary is to keep your innermost thoughts and feelings and while LJ started to keep your family and friends posted on your life when you're too busy to inform, it has turned into a sort of venting space for personal thoughts and feelings for many people...but this is the internet and anyone can read that and everyone should keep this in mind.

------------------
"My art forgot her tampon and she's bleeding through her jeans, yeah my art don't need no tampon she'll just bleed through her jeans"-Alix Olson

Posts: 47 | From: Maine, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duelist
Neophyte
Member # 14471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duelist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, what she wrote wasn't about me. It was about a friend of ours. I said just that, that she was allowed to put what she wanted on her blog, but that I didn't agree with it. She exploded and erased it.

But you're right, I might as well bridge the gap. It's stupid anyway. Thanks you two!

Posts: 37 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.