Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Monogamy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monogamy
Psychodahlia
Neophyte
Member # 15003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psychodahlia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a strong believer in monogamy at least not at this point in my life. I like to "get out there" and "try new things" and consequently I have never been in a serious relationship, which is fine with me. Recently though I have been seeing this guy who is interested in starting something 'serious', which kind of threw me for a loop because we had established we were having fun. How do I let him know that I am not ready to be monogamous...and am I a bad person for not wanting to be? Does this make me a slut?
Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just talk to him. Let him know you're not as interested in being "serious". Try to find something that makes both of you happy.

And don't worry about being a "slut"--different people do have different preferences. As long as you're honest with the people you're getting involved with (which it sounds like you are), and practicing safer sex, you're being responsible and mature.

------------------
Sapphire Cat, a feline who can be both pink and blue...

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should also be pointed out that you can be in a "serious" relationship and still have multiple sexual and emotional partners, even multiple primary partners. But, for that to work, it requires the agreement of everyone involved that that type of practice be used.

------------------
Tim, as in "Donate"
Scarleteen Advocate

"I wanna invite this so-called chaos that you think I dare not be." -- Alanis Morissette "So-Called Chaos"

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this'd be better in Relationships.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

The Earth says Hel-lo!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.