Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Question for all

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for all
eep_a_mouse
Activist
Member # 8796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eep_a_mouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard an expression the other day:

"It takes a second to like someone, a day to fall in love but a lifetime to forget."

I quite often find myself reliving parts of relationships or thinking what i would do if i met an ex that could be from a relationship up to 5 years ago.

Is this just the way our human minds work, does everyone agree with the saying quoted above?

I would be interested to know!!!

Posts: 42 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with much anything else, it probably depends on the person. I think it's only natural to think about your exes, especially if you were with them for longer periods of time. I know I certainly think of mine every now and then, but it's mostly in the context of "Wow, I'm so much better off now" or something of that nature.

Mind you, there's a pretty big difference between healthy thoughts of one's past, and outright obsession. If you find yourself with someone and constantly obsessing over an ex, you might want to consider spending some time alone to sort that all out.

But if it's just a passing thought every now and then, I'd chalk it up to some good ol' reminiscin'. And I certainly don't seem anything wrong with that.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamBaBy
Activist
Member # 12710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamBaBy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think BruinDan is right in saying it depends on the person (although I havn't seen an advocate or sepert be wrong yet).
But I don't agree with the quote you gave. It may take only a second to like someone, but I think it takes longer than a day to love someone(I'm not love-at-first-sight person.) I think we need to get to know the person deeply before we can love that person. But I agree slightly with the part that says it takes a lifetime to forget them. Maybe not a lifetime but a long time.
I have not forgot one of my exes, but I live a small town and none of them have moved away(unfortunate in some of the more abusive cases,as they still try to torment me).

But thet's my little speil about that for now.

------------------
¤dreamBaBy¤

"I don't wanna be you" -Good Charlotte from "the Anthem"
"Who I am is who I want to be" -Reba MacIntire

Posts: 93 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.