Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » In love with being in love?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In love with being in love?
crepe
Neophyte
Member # 14675

Icon 12 posted      Profile for crepe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've often heard of this phrase...but what does it mean exactly? are there certain traits a person displays when they are in this situation?
Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aroseisarose
Neophyte
Member # 14963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aroseisarose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just speculating here...maybe someone else has some more solid info...

I think it means that someone likes the feeling of being in love, maybe because of the commitment, or whatever, regardless of who exactly the other person is. You know that feeling you (supposedly) get when you like someone a lot? I think it means that they're addicted to that feeling.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I've heard this phrase used is simlar to what aroseisarose described. To me it means you love how they make you feel, but not really them. I don't know that there are specific traits anyone shows when experiencing this. Everyone reacts to different emotions and feelings differently.
Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've most often seen it applied to people who go from relationship to relationship very quickly, and who bolt from their relationships once the initial infatuation fades. These are the people you'll see around school professing their undying love for Courtney one week, Christina the next, and Catherine the week after that. Interestingly enough, these are also the same type of people who give rise to the adult belief that teens can't possibly know what love is, since they bounce around so much. Lovely, isn't it?

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crepe
Neophyte
Member # 14675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crepe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"you love how they make you feel, but not really them"

so if i know that someone has a crush on me, and i only want them when they're unavailable, could this be an example? like i miss the special attention from them? i'm kinda confused right now, thnx =)

Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also heard the phrase used to describe people who are hooked on the idea of being in love.

They're attached to the idea of themselves as having an eternal love, being fated to be with a particular person, loving against all the odds - perhaps because it fits a romantic image they have of themselves, or satisfies a need for drama in their lives.

But it's those feelings that are motivating them - it's not really about the particular person who's supposedly the object of this "love" at all.

So sometimes you get people who'll declare they are "in love" with someone and know they're meant to be together forever, even though it turns out they don't really know that person at all well, or don't actually seem to like them very much.

Ten of the Best Things You Can Do For Your Sexual Self has some wise things to say about this in the section on "drama addictions".

[This message has been edited by logic_grrl (edited 10-09-2003).]

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.