Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » what now?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what now?
Iluvbud
Neophyte
Member # 11935

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Iluvbud     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been with my boyfriend for four years. Yesterday he told me that I am just there to him. He also said that it doesn't even feel like we are going out. But I see him at least 4 times a week and we have sex and everything. I just don't understand how he can feel this way. It totally crushed me. I have been so sad and depressed. I don't know what to do now. How can I make it feel like we are together and show him how much i love him? He has just been so distant lately, like he is too cool for me and I hate it!!!!!!!!! What could I do to spice things up and it last???
Posts: 18 | From: Crestwood,Mo,United States | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly hon we're not going to be able to give you much help; the only person who knows what your boyfriend is looking for in a relationship is your boyfriend. The two of you will need to sit down and discuss what each of you want and how you can make that happen.

However, maintaining the relationship should not fall on your shoulders alone. There are two people involve here and both of you need to be willing to put in the effort relationships require.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's because you do the same things all the time? Me and my gf got stuck in a routine and eventually we just couldn't be bothered to see each other, luckily we noticed it and started doing other things.
Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iluvbud
Neophyte
Member # 11935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iluvbud     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys I broke it off with him a few days ago and i'm looking in to someone else.
Posts: 18 | From: Crestwood,Mo,United States | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Iluvbud:
Thanks guys I broke it off with him a few days ago and i'm looking in to someone else.

Seem a little quick to you, darlin'? I know how common it is to fly from one guy to another, but I think you'd do best to sort of let things settle for a bit before you launch into something else right off the bat.

It's more than likely that you'll just end up having the same problems with your new boy that you had with Bud. You haven't had time to figure out what went wrong, what you could do differently, and whether you're even ready for someone else just yet. And without those conditions having been satisfied, I'd certainly not recommend diving into things with a new beau right now.

I don't mean to be a stick-in-the-mud, but I also don't want to see you posting back here in three months nursing yet another heartbreak. You don't need that at all.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," FHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iluvbud
Neophyte
Member # 11935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iluvbud     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks but in order for me to stop thinking about Bud I need someone else to be there for me and for me to think about. I feel so much better now that I have the "new guy" on my mind insted of the jerk ex.
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks but in order for me to stop thinking about Bud I need someone else to be there for me and for me to think about.

You know what? Feeling that you always need to have someone else to be there for you and to provide something for you to think about isn't necessarily the most psychologically healthy way to be.

If you feel that you're incomplete or can't function without having a boyfriend, that can get you into all sorts of trouble.

It also creates the danger that you'll end up using other people - starting a relationship with someone for the sake of "having a boyfriend", not because you actually want to be with that particular person.

So I'd suggest that you think about BruinDan's wise words and consider taking some time off before jumping into the next relationship - or at least spend enough time thinking about it to make sure that you're not doing so just because you're scared of being alone.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.