Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » HELP!!!! He proposed, and I'm not ready!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP!!!! He proposed, and I'm not ready!!!
confuzzled
Neophyte
Member # 10988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confuzzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfreind of 6 months proposed to me today. I'm really touched, but there's no way I would marry him right now. Were both 16 and sophmores in HIGH SCHOOL. I told him that We're too young and that it was too soon. The fact is that I've just turned down a marriage proposal, and that's rather traumatizing. That kind of commitment is just scary at this point. My life is has enough trauma as it is without trying to deal with marriage. I don't even know if Chris is the one I want to marry. I love being with him, but I don't know anything about marriage at this point. I'm just plain terrified at this point, and could really use some counciling... Please send some words of advice...
Posts: 12 | From: Kansas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you imagine how much you'd be freaking out now if you'd said yes? You knew you weren't ready, you said so, and while that may have come with its own trauma, lying about it, or trying to delay answering could have made things far, far more painful.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Word up!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a deep breath.

Ok... You really did the right thing by telling the truth. IMHO, getting married before you're ready, and to someone you're not sure about, is one of the biggest mistakes of you can make.

How did he react to what you said? You sound like you really like him and you want to stay with him but you're just not ready for the kind of commitment he wants. That's totally ok.

Lemme tell you a story. When I was 16 and my boyfriend was 18, he proposed to me. I said almost exactly what you said. Now I'm 18 and he's 20 and we both are still very much in love with each other, but we realized that had we gotten married as soon as we can, we'd be miserable. We're not ready to handle everything that comes with a marriage.

You have a very mature attitude, and I think what you are doing is the best thing for you. Only you know what you're ready for.

*lots of hugs*

magpie

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.