Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » IS THERE A CHANCE?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IS THERE A CHANCE?
vibrant
Neophyte
Member # 10355

Icon 5 posted      Profile for vibrant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just been diagnosed with herpes, and I don't know how to deal with it or tell my close friend, who I think should know? I feel dirty about myself, and I have multiple feelings that I will be alone for the rest of my life! Is there still a chance of relationships and love for me?
P.S. Help... I advice and assurance!

------------------
Taking it day by day

Posts: 3 | From: Eugene,OR, U.S. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't feel dirty! There is absolutely nothing for you to be ashamed of! For more advice on the disease, you might want to read this: http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/herpes.html

Of course you can still have a loving, sexual relationship with someone don't let anyone persuade you otherwise. Well done on getting yourself tested, by the way, it is a very smart thing to do. As for telling your friend about herpes, why don't you let him/her read the link that I gave you? That might help them to understand and be supportive of you. Good luck
*Badger*

[This message has been edited by badly_behaved_badger (edited 10-21-2002).]

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you talked to your doctor about treatment options? There are some medications out there that help prevent outbreaks, and other ways to prevent spreading herpes to your partner.

There is just as much of a chance for you to be in a loving relationship as the rest of us. Becuase you have herpes doesn't make you any more or less likely to fall in love. You may need to be more careful when engaging in sexual activity, but in no way does that prevent a relationship.

My health teacher told us a story about a man and a woman getting married. They decided to get tested before getting married. It turns out she had multiple partners and picked up HIV. They got married anyway. They have to be very careful (they use a female condom and a male condom) but have managed to have a normal sex life. The husband gets tested regularly for HIV.

Don't let an STD get in the way of your emotions.

Loves,
magpie

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 4 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note. It is never a good idea to use more than one condom at a time. The two will rub against each other, creating friction and thus making both of them more likely to break. One condom, used properly, is all you need. A Simple Condom Primer
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.