Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » The little things

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The little things
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend just told me that he feels "unappreciated."

He complained that he does all these things for me to prove that he loves me, but i do nothing for him. I admit, i have a difficult time expressing my feelings, so what can i do? He already gave me some ideas....kissing him in public (i always thought he hated that!!), leaving little gifts in his locker, backrubs, etc...

Any other "little things" i can do for him so he knows he's appreciated? (believe me, he is )

------------------
"Distance and time do not make the heart grow fonder, but only serve to show he who is missing how deep and vigilent his love lies." ~~My boyfriend :)

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think telling him that you have a tough time expressing your feelings, but you really do have feelings for him is good enough. I would appreciate that if a loved one said that to me.

I also think that you shouldn't have to ask your boyfriend for advice on how to express your feelings for him. That may be want he wants, but they're still his feelings. That's just my opinion though.

------------------
Useless Crap

"This **** ain't over until the last record spins." Groove

"Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he would have to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to." Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blu Leopard
Neophyte
Member # 8004

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Blu Leopard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Star2be17!
My g/f is a little shy in that area too, I'm always swamping her with little notes and gifts and things and she always tells me she loves me but she also explains that she's just not good at those things like me. So you're not alone! But anyways, she does do things sometimes, she says she saves them so I won't get used to it, (but I don't think I ever would!)
She writes me notes sometimes, about all the things she likes about me, sometimes they'll just simply say "I love you",
Kissing me in public is another, or kissing my hand or fingertips.
She leaves me my favourite candies in different places, sometimes in my coat pocket or on my pillow after she leaves my house.
I hope those are some ideas for ya, those are my big favourites, so enjoy them if you will!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SurfGal
Activist
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SurfGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Blu...write him a note - make him a mix cd...cook him dinner - say something sweet on the phone or in person. These things remind our partner that we still care

------------------
"Girl you can pick a field full of daisies...but he'd still be my baby!" ~Dream

***STACY***

Posts: 81 | From: Jacksonville, FL. 32218 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey

i think "the little things" can be really important in relationships.

(remember the Wedding Singer?)

my boyfriend does a lot of little things for me that are totally sweet.... like if we are going somewhere and we stop at a gas station and he runs in, he will just get me a drink, even if i didn't ask for one, and he always remembers that i like dr. pepper.

or sometimes he will write me little notes that just say things like "i love you. why are you so pretty?"

i try and do similar things for him. i pay very close attention to his likes and dislikes. if he mentions a cd or dvd or something, sometimes i will surprise him and get it for him. i'm not saying you have to spend tons of money on your bf buying him stuff (i'm a poor college student so i can't afford to do that!) but sometimes little things like that can be really unexpected but cool and meaningful.

one thing my boyfriend really thinks is awesome is if i randomly decide to clean up his kitchen. him and his roommates are pretty messy, so sometimes i just clean things up for them to be nice. or make dinner for him.

it always makes me feel good to see him smile. and he never expects me to do things for him just as i don't expect him to always pamper me, which makes them more meaningful for both of us.

basically, just watch your boyfriend closely because he is giving you clues everyday about little things you can do to show him that you love him. hope this helps a little. probably doesn't make much sense cause i'm sleepy!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the guy's perspective from Blu

-Write him a poem/letter and leave it in his binder or locker. Color it! Decorate it!

That's tougher than it sounds. I think everyone here has really good ideas, though.

------------------
~A real friend is one that will help you clean up after the party's over.

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, thanks for the replies! These are good ideas!

------------------
"Distance and time do not make the heart grow fonder, but only serve to show he who is missing how deep and vigilent his love lies." ~~My boyfriend :)

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave him an ICQ message when you first get up to go to school.
My ex always used to do it, and it made me feel so loved!

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.