Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Surprise Surprise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Surprise Surprise
noob88
Activist
Member # 7723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noob88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of us are aware of how much communication is needed for a relationship to work out very well and how much the site encourages communication between partners. But I have recently noticed something. My girlfriend loves to be surprised with what she likes. And to talk about what we both want sort of ruins some of the surprise aspect of it. Im not talking sex and stuff like that more just kissing and holding eachother. At first I wasnt sure what she wanted so I tried talking with her about it but she would avoid it which led me to believe she didnt want it that much, but it was contrary to what Id been told which was that (she told me this and others did) she is anything but prude. So I was a little confused. I began asking her more close friends especially when it came down to a point where I needed to make a decision, I was talking online with one of her closer friends and she gave me enough insentive to go ahead and kiss her the next night. I didnt surprise my gf all that much but it was a lot more natural and enjoyable than it would have been had I asked her about when and where and how shed have liked it. So now I have been recently attempting to be spontaneous in what I do with her, and its been working out well (mostly because her good friends like me a lot and want to help). Im not saying at all that communication is not needed I think it defenitely is, and when (or if we last this long) my gf and I get around to sex I will make the communication thing a must because in that situation I will really need to. But how many of you have experienced this situation, do you tend to like surprises more or do you like talking about things. If you are spontaneous with your gf/bf, then how do you find out what they like. I myself dont mind it either way but I think that it felt a lot better without words when we made out that first time then it would have been had we planned.

------------------
-MONTY-

If you find you love someone more than you love yourself, I hope that person feels the same way.

"We may be through with the past but the past aint through with us"

"As far as I am concerned humans have not come up with a belief that is worth believing"

Posts: 104 | From: Tiburon, Ca | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprises can be wonderful - as long as the person doing the surprising is willing to listen and compromise as things progess. In some cases (such as surprises) communication doesn't need to take place beforehand but it does need to take place during the actual event.

Oh, and it would really be helpful if you could include paragraph breaks in your posts. Those huge chunks of text are very hard to read. Thanks.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once read a suggestion that couples could bookmark passages of a book to let the other know what they would find appealing, then leave it where the other would find it. The surprise comes in not knowing if the partner has read the book yet and if so, what surprise they will pick and when. My source specifically suggested doing this with erotica or sexual technique books, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with almost anything, like one of those "100 ways to be romantic" books or even a short story or scene in a novel that one partner found particularly nice.

That said, it's hard to go wrong with a flower, a balloon, a surprise picnic in the park, or love notes (cartoons, drawings, poetry, whatever) tucked into someplace where you're sure she'll find them.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.