Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » a friends behavior

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a friends behavior
Miller311
Activist
Member # 7218

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Miller311     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok i was going to post this under "ask an advocate" but i figured i put it here because it has to do with a relationship between my best friend and me.

Latley my friend has been acting totally weird. I dont know how to say this without it being derogatory, latley shes been getting with lots of guys. Not neccesarily anything more than kissing, but still. Shes made a name for herself around school. First i dont want people to think im like that, second i dont know how to tell her that whats shes doing may be wrong, and that its bothering me. any suggestions?

------------------
~~*Sara*~~

**RIP TEDDY**
I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU!
1983-2001

Posts: 47 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to accept that your friend is entitled to make her own decisions. You may not agree with them but unless she is harming herself or others, it is not your place to judge her or tell her what she should and shouldn't be doing.

As for people judging you by your friends actions, no one who cares about you would do that. Simply because your friend does something does not mean that you do and most people will be able to accept that without any problems.

If you simply can't handle her behavior then it's you that has to change. I say that because you cannot force her do change herself unless she wants to. You however, can either choose to accept her or to discontinue your friendship.

------------------
There is a time and a place for everything.

ICQ# 146582840

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miller311
Activist
Member # 7218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miller311     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well she is my best friend and i love her dearly. But when people start saying stuff about her she runs to me all upset. I would never end my friendship with her over this, because we are way to close. Im just afraid shes going to get herself in trouble

------------------
~~*Sara*~~

**RIP TEDDY**
I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU!
1983-2001

Posts: 47 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cute Katie
Activist
Member # 6602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cute Katie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest that you talk to her about what she's doing. Tell her that you care about her and you're worried about what's going on. She'll know that you are a true friend because you are sticking by her. Hope this helps!

------------------
-~-Katie-~-

AIM: Amethyst95

Posts: 59 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tasha
Activist
Member # 6784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a friend, it's great that you are still being there for her. But i think you should try to talk to her about what's going on. If she is so upset about what people are saying about her that she comes running to you, then maybe you can try to tell her how you think that, unfortunately, the only well to get people to stop talking is to stop doing what she's doing. She totally should be free to do whatever she pleases, but it seems like there will be consequences to her actions..people gossiping about her, or maybe you choosing to not be as close with her.

I think you should really try to talk with her, and see if maybe there is a reason she has been going around with lots of guys. I had two friends awhile ago that did things like that, both because they had very low self-esteem, and one also was struggling with some very harsh family problems, and kinda just kept turning to guys for "acceptance," but also kinda for attention, 'cuz she felt that she wasn't getting any from her parents. It really hurt to see them do that, but maybe by being a good friend, you can help your friend work through her problems, if that's the case.

------------------
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

share your opinion: http://www.geocities.com/tkaterisha/

Posts: 68 | From: Brooklyn, NY (Ev,IL right now tho) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.