Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » boyfriend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: boyfriend
ASH/ZACH
Neophyte
Member # 5892

Icon 12 posted      Profile for ASH/ZACH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok! My boyfriend and I have been dating almost 9 months and I want to get him something for Christmas but I don't know what to get him he is 18 years old. I know that he wants a neckle lace but I really don't have the money for one so what do I do? He also thought me that I wasn't going to get anything for my B-Day (which is in a few days) or Christmas but I think that he was jokeing so what do I do. Do I get him something and just not give it to him tell he gives me mine or do I just buy him a gift and give it to him so show him that I care?? Please Help
Posts: 4 | From: topeka, KS, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la jaunty bohemian
Activist
Member # 5735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la jaunty bohemian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to share something my mom told me once... gifts aren't contracts. They are given freely and require no payback. So giving your boyfriend a gift or getting one in return doesn't have to be seen as an obligation to give something in return.

That said.. while giving things [and receiving things] can be really fun, it doesn't mean that love is confirmed. It ain't a material thing like that.

As for gift ideas- what does he like to do? Get him a gift certificate to a place he shops at, or invite him out for a day in the city. Plan activities for the both of you! Make him something; get crafty.

The best gifts aren't neccessairly the most expensive ones.

good luck!

------------------
"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" -Obi Wan Kenobi, Return of the Jedi

Posts: 105 | From: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your boyfriend wants a necklace but you can't afford it, then get him something else. There must be something else he wants or something else you'd like to get him. So give it some thought then go shopping or make it.

quote:
Do I get him something and just not give it to him tell he gives me mine or do I just buy him a gift and give it to him so show him that I care??

IMHO, if you really care then you should get him a present "just because" or because you know he'd enjoy receiving it, not so that you can get one in return. Presents aren't really necessary to show that you care; it shouldn't be some sort of proof, although it's still quite a nice gesture.

If you don't want to get him a present then don't. However, if you do want to get him a gift and then give it to him, then do so. But I don't think you should get him a gift and hold on to it until you get yours. Personally, I don't think that's such a "good relationship" thing to do, but that's just how I am.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice, jaunty.
Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.