Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » First ever date jitters.. SOS!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First ever date jitters.. SOS!
orbitz
Neophyte
Member # 5773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orbitz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there,
I was wondering if I could have some tips here on how to remain cool during the following:
This guy that I had a class with for a few months likes me, but w haven't seen eachother in 8 months. We talk on the net all the time, and I finally gave in and agreed to go to a movie with him. But since then I've put on a little weight (not much.. but makes me self concious) and I feel that I look different not and might kinda deflate his crush on me. This week we're going to a movie, but I'm already nervous.
Any tips on how to make this go smoothly?
Thanks guys!

------------------
Later gator!
*orbitz, ash.
make LUV, not war!

Posts: 26 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there...

Remember that 8 months is a while, sugar, and guess what? He's changed too! he may be taller or heavier or thinner; maybe his voice has changed, or maybe it's the same as it ever was.

The point is, you two get along and want to hang out, and that's what you're going to do!

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orbitz
Neophyte
Member # 5773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orbitz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks
I guess that made me realize that *DUH me* it's a mutual thing that we DO want to hang out..but I'm worried he may have false or old and invalid expectations of me!

------------------
Later gator!
*orbitz, ash.
make LUV, not war!

Posts: 26 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the truth is that you will both probably have changed on the outside, and changed some on the inside, too... he is probably self aware enough to know that he's different, too. It won't shock him if you are. You know those cousins you only see at Christmas or Thanksgiving or whatever? Nobody expects them to turn up and be the same year after year, do they?

You know, that's sort of what the whole "dating" thing is about... getting to know each other.

This will be fun and interesting, to see how much you've changed and how much you still have in common. I mean, if you've been communicating for 8 months, you obviously still have things about each other that interest you, yes?

If it's any consolation, you will change through your whole life. I'm 30, I've been with the same person for 5 years, and *neither* of us is the same as we were when we met.

Change is life, change is good, change is natural, change should be no surprise

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orbitz
Neophyte
Member # 5773

Icon 12 posted      Profile for orbitz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there again!

Thank you, you really reassured me about things. I was thinking so much about what he'd think of me that I was oblivious to the idea that he has changed too!
This will help me out when, this week we actually go out. It's better off anyways, that if he doesn't like what he gets, that I find someone that WILL.
You rock..and thanks!

------------------
Later gator!
*orbitz, ash.
make LUV, not war!

DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

You are very, very welcome... and I hope you have a nice time

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.