Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Coming Across All Shy and Coy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coming Across All Shy and Coy
velocette
Activist
Member # 3877

Icon 13 posted      Profile for velocette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I have the lamest of all problems. So Homecoming is slowly approaching for my school (November 10th). Now, there is this guy that I like but rarely, rarely, rarely ever talk to named Hans. Well, I asked him if he was going to go to Homecoming in which he responded "I would if someone asked me." So of course, a couple of days later I fetch up the nerve to ask him to the dance. Badda bing, a-badda boom, he says yes. Goodie.

Now comes the problem. We both are super quiet and shy around eachother and we haven't spoken since I asked him to go with me (about... a week and a half or two weeks ago). He's really well known in our school (we're both sophomores, and he is a "radical punk" as some describe him, lol) and he'll talk to other people... but... with me he just sorta sits there.

Does anyone have any advice to help get our conversations moving? He's super sweet and I'd be really interested in persuing a relationship that's more than just friends... but I think we'd have to actually talk to eachother for that to happen :P

Also, one other thing to add weirdness to the situation. His mother is my French teacher. That just adds another layer of oddness...

Thanks for listening to my rambling

------------------
You're So Disco! : My Online Diary

Posts: 81 | From: Hayward, California, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you try to arrange to see him some time before Homecoming? Even something like asking him over to your house to play scrabble- that way you'll have something to do that will probably lead into conversation. And you'll be more comfortable with each other when the time comes to go to the dance. Most likely, he's just being shy around you because he likes you too.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...just another nancy boy" oh gosh, i have ot listen to that song now!

why not talk about music? do you have any common ground there? i find i can rattle on and on about my favorite bands and albums. or talk about bands that suck. i find that's a good start for a funny conversation.

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have any advice for you, since I am so shy too, and it usually takes me more than a few times with the person until I am a bit more relaxed around them (not necessarily romantic relationships, friends as well, esp. boys hehe) ... but I'd like to say something though...!

I love Placebo! lol And the song I've been most listening to during the last few weeks, is Nancy Boy (acoustic version somewhere! hehe)

------------------
~Sallynha
The Beautiful Smile Hides The Troubled Soul

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a weird thing, but music is the best subject for shy people... mostly because everyone likes it, and you can tell eachother about different bands you like and stuff. The other day 3 people came up to me because I was wearing a Weezer shirt, and I talked to them about Weezer like I knew them forever ;-) Music is a universal conversation starter. Ah, I love it..
Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velocette
Activist
Member # 3877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for velocette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, after English, he went up to me and talked about his Harry Potter lunchbox and Teddy Graham cookies. I asked him if he told his mother (my French prof) in which he, not shockingly, said yes. Eeks. His sister is driving us... which I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Yet I am not satisfied. It's time to put that Veronica-charm at an all time high and make him swoon. Swoon, baby, swoon... :P

------------------

Posts: 81 | From: Hayward, California, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velocette
Activist
Member # 3877

Icon 10 posted      Profile for velocette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! There was a football game today so I got to see him (he's in band, not football ). So... during halftime I motioned for him to join me and my friends which he did, and it was super cool. He was wearing this skimask so I stole it from him and wore it the rest of the game. This girl who I don't know (she's a grade older than me) came over to talk to us, too... and she kept on reffering me and "my guy" as boyfriend and girlfriend making us both feel weird. Hmm. Oh well, all in all a nice night.

That girl is one weirdo.

------------------

velocette
Activist
Member # 3877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for velocette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uppppppdate!

OK, so we're talking a hell of a lot more, though we still don't hang out with eachother at lunch, or anything of that manner. It turns out his family is taking this Homecoming thing very seriously, making him take me to dinner, take pictures, and buy me flowers. Hahaha, it's sorta cute, actually

OK, I need some more advice now (I'm terrible at this flirting thing). How can I show physical signs that I want to be "more than friends"? Is it too much to just sort of put my hand on top of his in class, or put my head on his shoulder? I was majorly debating this last English class when the opportunity was quite good. I want him to get the hint... but I don't want to seem pushy. Oh, boy, I'm lame

------------------

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, personally I'd think that that kind of serious physical flirting has no place in a classroom. Ask him to sit with you at lunch or something if you intend to physically put the moves on him. But, you're in class to pay attention and learn things, and it's very very distracting not only for your partner, but also for other students if you're trying to interact physically with your boy that way. So I might steer clear of that.

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

Want to know the goddess? Read the kittenblog!

"Never insult an alligator until after you've crossed the river." ~Oriental Proverb

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.