Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Dating older, slightly taller girl? Driving issue?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dating older, slightly taller girl? Driving issue?
Alf
Neophyte
Member # 5571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really interested in dating a girl I go to school and work with. We get along well, and have a compatible sense of humor. I feel good when around her.

However, I have some concerns. She's a year older than me; but only by a year. That doesn't really bother me. However, there are two issues that do bother me and I wonder how to address them.

She's a tad taller than me; I've been joking around with a female friend of mine, and got the strong message that dating girls who are taller than you is not a good idea. I guess it's just one of those societal things? To clarify: it's not really a concern, just something I was wondering the opinion of others about.

My primary concern is transportation. She is taking driver's ed right now, while I won't be getting my learner's permit until February. So who's supposed to drive if it ends up that we do go out? I'd rather not have parents chauffering us to dates. What have you guys experienced? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Alf (edited 10-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Alf (edited 10-25-2001).]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasper
Activist
Member # 5439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kasper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... The height sould not matter at all. What the big deal if your taller? It could be fun, and deff, different!

The transportation can be fixed easily. Try to double date. Get a couple who is a bit older and has a license, and drive with them. Its better than going with your parents. If not, maybe you can go somewhere within walking distance.

Ask her to homecoming asap, if its only 3 wks away. You dont want someone else to get to her first. If she says shell go, then be like hey... what are you doing friday, wanna get a bite to eat!? Or do you wanna come chill at my house for a while?

Good luck, and dont sweat it to much!

Posts: 213 | From: *Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alf
Neophyte
Member # 5571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clarification:
The height issue doesn't really matter to me. I was just concerned by other people's concern with it.
Transportation is the biggie. Would double dating really be comfortable if you double date with people who can drive, who invariably are her group, who are invariably ALL older than me?

But I'm not worrying too much.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the height issue goes, who cares what other people think, as long as you two are comfortable with it? Some people might think it's strange that she's older, too, but again, if you two can handle it, it's nobody else's business.

It sounds like you've got two choices right now when it comes to driving: Have a parent chauffeur or double date with an older couple. Only you can decide which is better.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
y'know, one of my best friends, back in high school, was dating a guy she was a year older than a about 3 inches taller than. none of us thought anything of it. they were happy. yeah, she drove (and for good reason, as he was hell on wheels). and of course, none of us thought anything ill of it. so, imho, you have nothing to worry about. if oyu don't appear to be concerned aobut the matter, neither will anyone else.

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And besides...when you're as short as I am, your only option is to date women who are as tall or taller than you are!

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I have not had to deal with the height issue, since most women who are taller than me are probably playing in the WNBA, but it really doesn't sound like that shold stop you from seeing her. Also what is the big deal if she drives instead of you. where is it written that the man always has to be the one at the wheel. So what if she drives. As a couple you are more moblie than you would be if you were both a year or two younger. How would you handle the transport problem if the girl you liked was younger than you and couldn't drive. That would give you even fewer options than this situation does. Besides, its just a short while before you get to drive anyways, so don't sweat it and ride shotgun for a while.
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How bad is riding with your parents, anyway?

I mean, maybe it's just that 1) I have cool parents and 2) I'm younger than most people in my grade and *never* learned to drive, but I went to a few dances with boyfriends where my parents or his parents drove us there, and we didn't die. ;]

If it turns out to be the best choice, don't worry about it.

As for the height issue: I wouldn't know anything about being a tall girl. But I do know that there isn't a thing she or you can do about it. So if you like her, deal with it. If it's awkward, try to laugh at yourselves. It's really not a big issue if you two like each other, right?

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Did you see my friend? He couldn't believe it, 'The girls are holding hands, the girls are holding hands!' Don't be a fool, it's 1995, the girls are just friends." --Belle and Sebastian, "Photo Jenny"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel
Activist
Member # 2870

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you even need someone to drive you places? What's wrong with getting a bus, or even in extreme circumstances walking?!
Posts: 105 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alf
Neophyte
Member # 5571

Neither of us can drive. She's got her learner's permit and is taking driver's ed.

Thanks for all the help everybody. No more needed.

PepperCat
Neophyte
Member # 5581

Icon 14 posted      Profile for PepperCat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ya,
Now I know you said that height was not really a concearn to you, however you did mention it...so I can see it is on your mind somewhat...My b/f is 5'6 and I am 6'0 I was feeling kinda freaky about it at first...but all that matters is the person, and I am glad I went out with him despite our height differences, as I would have missed out on a great guy...so I say go for it all the way baby! Okay for the second problem...why don't you rent a limo? I know that sounds kinda ritzy but it is a set of wheels and you can actually get some good deals...or you could just take a cab,just suggestions...but belive me anything is better than your parents...hehehehehehe...good luck man!

Posts: 3 | From: Kent, Wa. USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.