Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Make me feel a little less stupid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Make me feel a little less stupid
sometimesgirl
Neophyte
Member # 5383

Icon 9 posted      Profile for sometimesgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, thanks to everyone who responded to my first post, you really helped out, and if you want to know how everything's going now just mail me. Well, I have a new question. This sounds really stupid but my sort-of boyfriend calls me "babe" all the time, and I can't stand it! I don't know why.... Please tell me I'm not being stupid!

------------------
If you don't love yourself, nobody else can love you.

Posts: 7 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XoXoGrl8
Activist
Member # 2834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XoXoGrl8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody has their lil quirks. That is just one of yours. Personally I like being called "babe" and "hun". I call all of my guy buddies that and nobody seems to mind. However, if you don't like it just tell him nicely and I'm sure he will listen!
Posts: 132 | From: New Jersey...US | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely, positively not stupid at all. In fact, I think everyone has a name that they would rather not be called. A little while back I had a very special girl tell me she'd unleash the Fires of Hades if I called her "babe." So the best thing you can do is tell your boy that you would rather he called you something else. Be direct and polite about it, and you should have no trouble at all. Take care...

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aie! i hate being called "babe." i usually say to that, "i have a name. don't ever call me 'babe'." they get the hint right away.

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year, I had this guy friend, and he always called me "doll". Ahhh! How I hated that... he made me feel so stupid when he'd say that!

But I do love being called hun, sweetie, and babe. Everyone is different!

------------------
~*s h a n n a*~

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know ... whenever i hear "babe", i think of the pig ... that cute little piggy that lived on the farm and whatever. It was a movie. And a very cute one, at that.

If you don't like it, tell him. If he respects you, he'll stop.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
am i the only one around here who doesnt mind those kinds of names?

But im weird, my heart flutters everytime i hear my S.O. say my name. I know its weird, but i like the sound of my name. "Tori" its so not common. But i like it even more when people call me Victoria. hehe. i love names.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh! I love it when guys say my name, too! It makes me feel special, cuz they know my name... so obviously, to them I exist!

------------------
~*s h a n n a*~

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I call eachother babe all the time. I always liked it, and I never thought about a pig when we say it to eachother.

But you arent being stupid, if you dont like that your boyfriend calls you a certain name, then you have to tell him. Its not a big deal. If you really cant tell him how you feel about this, there are bigger situations to come~ you have to communicate with eachother. So just tell him I am sure that he wont mind to call you something different.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 10-01-2001).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siouxsie
Activist
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siouxsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i call loadsa ppl sweetie and honey and kittie and sugar and all that rubbish. no one seams to mind, but i guess it is just the person that it is coming from sometimes it is annoying and sometimes it's cool. just say in your loveliest voice that you don't like it.
Posts: 48 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesgirl
Neophyte
Member # 5383

Icon 7 posted      Profile for sometimesgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I told my guy I didn't want to be called babe anymore last night and he seemed really cool about it! He asked me if he there were any other pet names that bothered me and I said no. I'm so glad I got that one over with. Thanks everyone!

------------------
If you don't love yourself, nobody else can love you.

Posts: 7 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See gurlie, we told you that everything will be okay! Its just a matter of commuicating! I'm glad that everything went smoothly.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean, I like when guys say my name when they talk to me, or when they say hi to me... it feels more personal I guess. Like when you're in the hallway and someone says "Hey ____" It makes me smile :-D

------------------
"I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal"
~Incubus

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not being stupid. Personally, nobody refers to me as their "boy toy"... the moment someone places me equal to an inanimate thing is the moment I walk out the door. I can't imagine being compared to an infant is much better.

------------------
-- Sapphire Cat

Condense soup, not books!

I don't use the term "straight". It implies its opposite is "crooked".

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Siouxsie:
i call loadsa ppl sweetie and honey and kittie and sugar and all that rubbish.

Same here! I'm known for calling all my friends (and sometimes acquaintances) dear, babe, sweetie, baby, honey, etc. I remember my younger cousin getting mad at me because I kept calling her things like "dear" and "baby".

------------------
"I talked for hours to your wallet photograph
And you just listened.
You laughed, enchanted by my intellect...
Or maybe, you didn't."

The All-New Only In Dreams Blog!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.