Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Going away....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going away....
Cypher
Activist
Member # 1881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, hullo.

Well, I'm headed off to university at the end of the month on the other side of the country. But the perk is that my boyfriend of a year and a month will be accompanying me and going to school with me there. I'm really looking forward to this and I think it's going to be good for us, but I was talking with a friend last week and she had a few things to tell me.

She told me of a couple of her friends who were a part of couples who went off to university together and within the first three months they were all split up. She told me that the stress of going to school often ends up being too much for the people in the relationship to handle and they break free. Too much pressure and too much committment in the prime of their lives or something along those lines.

Neither one of us has been to this place before and we basically know no one else but one another. I see it as a comfort to have someone I know along with me, but I'm also scared of losing him. I love him very much and we seem to have an incredible relationship. Right now we have plans to be married in January, but these are only tentative at the moment. He constantly reassures me that he is very committed to me and our impending marriage.

I'm very scared that we'll get to school and realize that things aren't going to be as we anticipated. We know it's going to be tough and our relationship is going to take a lot of work and maintenance, but there's no knowledge like living it.

I very much want things to work out. Does anyone have tips or experience in this matter? Any kind of feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

------------------
Smile, though your heart is breaking....

My crazy little universe....

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there....
With open arms and open eyes...."

-Incubus

Posts: 289 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
donutduchess
Activist
Member # 4675

Icon 6 posted      Profile for donutduchess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going thru something similar. I am going off to college about an hr away. But Ill be going alone, with out my bf.

I am scared of the fact of splitting up too. I am trying to be positive, and to think on the bright side. Things will work out if there meant to be!

Posts: 76 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way that I see it, even if you two do end up breaking up, you're still at college in a new place with a best friend I wouldn't worry too much about what could happen with your relationship though because it could cause you to stress too much about it which could possibly be the start of the end of the relationship. I say that you should just "go with the flow" and whatever happens, happens. But it's all going to happen for a reason in my opinion. It sounds like you and your boyfriend are very committed to each other. You two might be able to find a way to balance your studies and your relationship with each other. The important thing though is that you're going to be with each other for support no matter what happens.

------------------
"1970 called. Al Pacino wants his car back."

blackbird's blog

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.