Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » am i just being paranoid?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: am i just being paranoid?
TheSaint
Neophyte
Member # 4545

Icon 11 posted      Profile for TheSaint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have been with my gf for bout 2 months now and its going great!we really like each other and have both been really happy.im besotted with her thats partly my prob!we're both going on holiday and will b apart for bout 2 weeks - i cant stop thinking about her even when i have just seen her, let alone when im not gonna see her for 2 weeks.i guess wot im worried bout is that the time apart might change things between us.
I was just wondering if any of u guys out there have been in a similar situation.did things change at all?am i just being paranoid?

cheers guys

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 6 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! Yes, I was in EXACTLY the same situation in late 1997. I had been dating my then-girlfriend for just over two months, and she left for a 2-week vacation with her parents.

I had the exact same fears you did, I thought that she would meet someone else, or would come home and not feel the same way about me. In fact, she had the same worries about me as I had about her...and she came home liking me more than ever. So it all worked out positively, and we ended up being together for 3 and a half years after that. So don't worry about it too much, I'm bettin' everything will be just peachy. Take care and best of luck!

------------------
"Verdugo, Engine 14; you can cancel all units responding to this structure fire...this is just a dishwasher gone bad."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambler
Activist
Member # 3023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it's generally been my experience that we miss oneanother equally and have the same fears.

As cheesy as this may sound, since I was usually the one going away, and since it was usually to a place I wasn't interested in going, I often spent a lot of my time writing letters to my SO while there. Long letters about what I was doing and how I felt. I think that I only ever once sent one of them--by the time I got home I usually didn't need to. I do that a lot, really--if I am sad, sometimes the best thing to calm and center me is just to write a letter to my SO telling what's going on in my head and how much I appreciate my relationship right now.

I like to be "sappy" sometimes.

------------------
rambler
Visit disabledsex.org -- Disability and Sexuality.
Or, find out how to join the teen discussion list
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
--Joe Ancis

Posts: 141 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
golden101
Activist
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for golden101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get the same way (and i still do). I would get worried that something would happen that my b/f would come back not feeling the same way for me, or that he had met someone else. In my mind i would make up the worse case scenario and worried myself to death about it. I was (and still am) very paranoid.

I know that time apart isn't very fun, but hey think of it like this....you'll be soooooooo excited when she comes back, think about how happy you'll be. Time apart can actually be kinda good for a relationship.

------------------
*~*Golden*~*

*A person that asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes, a person who doesn't is a fool forever*

Posts: 227 | From: U.S.A | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't ever been in the situation, but I do know that in times when I couldn't see my boy/girlfriend, I'd miss them like crazy and be even more smitten when we got to see each other again.

In my own personal soap opera, I'm leaving town for two weeks in August, and my biscuit is leaving town for a week before I leave. That's three weeks. Uncool. *sigh*

Good luck to us both

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.