Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » When You Run Out Of Things To Say...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When You Run Out Of Things To Say...
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a person to do when you run out of things to say to that special someone? It's summertime...so nothing to interesting happens during the day for me to talk about. And I know this person really well already, so it's not like I have anything to ask him.

What do you do when you run out of things to talk about?

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well sweeto, I might be being naive here but I think communication is more than just telling someone about what happened, what you did and asking them what they did.

I used to have that problem with my ex bf. We couldn't communicate. If nothing interesting happened, we would literally have nothing to talk about. And that was the reason we eventually split up. Because we simply couldn't communicate on a higher level.

I think you have to ask yourself why you have nothing to talk about. Are you afraid to delve into something deeper? Is one party just not interested in communicating or are the two of you simply on different wavelengths?

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 12 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my boyfriend and I had this problem a few months ago. School had just gotten out and all the sudden all we had to talk about was his job as a cashier at a grocerey store. It doesn't change that much. But then we just started talking on a different level. One day I just let all my concerns about next year (he's going into collage and I still have 2 years of high school left) and after I let all that out, it's like we never ran out of stuff to talk about. It's like I broke a barrier of some sort.

I dunno it's just a thought,

love,
magpie

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do people always feel they have to talk? I am sure that you two are comfortable in silence...

Perhaps if that upper level that Lin and magpie were talking about doesnt show up you will have to find something to talk about. Go and do something for pete's sake. Go hiking, play some sport together, watch a movie. Good conversations always come to me when i am hiking.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're comfortable in silence, but....not on the phone. And when we're in person we do talk on that upper level, it seems like it's just easier to express ourselves in person.

However, my parents are....not very cool with me right now. So far this summer (outside of cross country and youth group) I manage to leave the house without my parents about once every two weeks. You'd think I was the satan incarnate....

::walks away muttering "emancipation is only seven months away"::

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eppy
Neophyte
Member # 4254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way I can talk to my bf right now is on the phone... either that or ICQ. Cause he's so far away. (I can't wait til fall!!)

We sometimes have silences. But I usually just ask him about his day, and tell him about mine. I know I'm going to talk to him on the phone that day, so if something happens, I'll make a mental note to mention it to him. And once we get talking, you can't shut us up! Exhaustion is the main reason we hang up. If nothing in particular happens, then we talk about whatver is on our mind. If something is bothering me, I'll tell him. If I'm thinking about the future, I'll tell him that. If I had a dream, I'll tell him that. I tell him how I'm feeling.

My suggestion is the next time you talk to him, and you run out of things to say, say, "Why does this happen?" Tell him you're worried or bothered by it, and talk about that. Then he'll be aware of it, he'll know how you feel about it, you'll know how he feels, and you can fix it. Ah, communication is a wonderful thing. I hope this tidbit helps, and I hope things work out for you.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
star1120
Activist
Member # 1624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for star1120     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, what if he's just not a phone talker? that happens. ryan and i can talk about whatever for who knows how long when we're with each other, or we just enjoy eachothers presence (sp?) in silence...or...with the radio... but we're totally comfortable...but never totally quiet. but, on the phone, it's just tough to talk to him. so maybe that's what's up with your boy, he's just not big on talking on the phone. it's a possibility

------------------
" Life move pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Posts: 183 | From: ohio, usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
because my boyfriend and i are geeks, we read newspapers a lot. we'll read the Wall Street Journal at the table and then start commenting. oh, we've had some great discussions, then had some that got us nothin' but the silent treatment but anyway, talk about the news or something if you are seriously lacking. if you have that much time of your hands, there are plenty of newspapers online, or at newsstands all over the place. and it's a good way of getting to know the world around you. who says teenagers don't care about what's going on?!?

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Etch, my boyfriend would agree with you.. I tend to be that type of person that feels that have to go insanely deep and/or talk all the time.. I need to just chill out and enjoy the silence..

------------------
I know the pieces fit because I watched them fall away
Mildewed and smoldering; fundamental differing.

Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.