Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » it starts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: it starts
junior
Neophyte
Member # 4379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for junior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, i was wondering how relationships start,
at what point did you feel like it was a relationship beyond friendship

i have never felt that way and i wanna know how other people have felt

Posts: 9 | From: la ca usa | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm.

For me, it's been very different depending on the relationship.

With one, it was very much "love at first sight" -- we fell in love first, and became friends later.

With another, it was a definite friends with benefits thing that developed into a deeper friendship -- and then at one point my feelings had deepened to a point that I realized "oh, I'm in love with this person."

I think it's kind of like an avalanche for me -- there are lots of little pebbles skittering down the hill, but I don't notice that I'm in love until it's all suddenly bearing down upon me.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
::giggles that Erin said 'friend with benefits::

With my relationships (remember, I'm only 15) it's usually just us flirting and stuff (which I do with everyone) and then we'll start acting like a couple and people will be like "hey, you two would be sooo cute together!" and we're like hey...we like each other, yeah, let's make this official. And of course we do it in our shy little teenage way (well, the other person does anyway, I'm really agressive and nosy and if I like someone I'll just tell them "you know I like you, and I just want to know what you feel about me".)

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SweetBeyond
Activist
Member # 3250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SweetBeyond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, relationships come easily with me. I see a guy I like, I get the scoop on him. If he's likable, I somehow get him to know I exist. I used to mainly get them to notice me at school dances. Anyway, I exchange numbers, ask them if they want to hang out, and it just pretty much goes on from there. If we get along, we're together, if not, no biggie, better luck next time. Using this tactic, my longest relationship was four months.
However, with my latest, I started a new technique - I became friends first. No seduction with him, we became best friends, and then the relationship ran a lot smoother. We've been together almost two years.

Posts: 63 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my boyfriend now? We knew eachother for only a week and he asked me out. I decided to give it a try, see what happend. It worked out great, we are happily in love!

Not much to the story. A year and 7 months & counting! Worked out great.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 07-11-2001).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cypher
Activist
Member # 1881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone's definition is different.

Attraction can start a million different ways. Sometimes it starts with the physical and you can lust after a person. Oftentimes it starts with friendship before a person realizes there is a really special quality that's drawing them in beyond just a platonic connection. Othertimes it can be entirely personality (this is how some internet relationships start off).

Basically it can be any number of things and when it hits you, you'll know it.

------------------
Smile, though your heart is breaking....

My crazy little universe....

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there....
With open arms and open eyes...."

-Incubus

Posts: 289 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, I wish I knew. I really do...sadly, I've never been in a real relationship. It always seems that I get crushes on people, and they don't have crushes on me, and then I end up dejected somewhere. Alas...

BTW Pixie, I *love* the quote on yer sig. It cracked me up, seriously.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide."
"Things seemed much less complicated...before we kept computers."
-Neil Gaiman

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.