Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Breakin-Up Songs (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Breakin-Up Songs
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dailicious:
I can't even remember what I listened to after the initial break-up troubles back last year (man, it's almost been a year, yowch), but whenever I'm in a particularly down-over-relationship-woes mood, I find playing The Dresden Dolls very loudly works wonders. Ah, Amanda Palmer, what would I do without you?

"You can tell from the FULL body CAST that you're sorry that you Asked, that you did EVERything you could, like any DECENT PERSON WOULD"

The Dresden Dolls ROCK me

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygurl2285
Neophyte
Member # 33572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygurl2285     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually don't pick songs as "break-up songs". When i start dating someone, we always pick a song to be "our song", then if and when we break-up i sit there and listen to that song constantly (which isn't exactly a good idea considering it just makes me more upset) then i call up my best friend Dominique and tell her what happened. She always asks if i dumped him or he dumped me and if it's the latter always asks if she needs to have a talk with him (which she never does) She's what cheers me up and what keeps me dating. Whenever I break-up with someone the first thing we do is call up her bf and his friends and go to the movies with a bunch of guys to forget my ex.

Current songs:

"One Wish" by RayJ
"Don't Matter" by Akon
"Buy You A Drink" by T-Pain
(we couldn't decide which one so we took all three)

--------------------
.:~!str8 up pimped babigurl!~:.

Posts: 27 | From: Tennessee, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchie
Neophyte
Member # 33459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frenchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when i like a guy i listen to his music, so when it's over, i just go back to good old school french rap music! [Wink] and i feel like myself, want to move on, go ahead, i feel full of energy! [Smile]
i also love
hunter from Dido
and vivaldi (l'estro harmonico)makes me feel like i'm ready to go on living! [Smile]

when feeling blue i got some songs to make me even sadder:
addicted (kelly clarkson)
wicked game (chris isaak)
9 crimes (damien rice) love this one so much!!!
please bleed (ben harper)
and many french songs:
la chanson des vieux amants, ne me quitte pas.. (j Brel)
il'n y a pas d'amour heureux (brassens)
veiller tard
quand tu danses...(jean jacques goldman)

Posts: 5 | From: France, near Paris | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spikebabe9
Neophyte
Member # 34078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spikebabe9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The songs that I listen to all matter on what kind of a break it was. My last one was a bad break on his part. We had been going out for going on 6 months and he was 2 years younger than me. His immaturity was obvious, he could not spell to save his life, and that combined with him sending me and e-mail asking me if I was "board" with him or was I seeing someone else. At one time or another I did want to hit him upside the head with a plank, but that is way off topic.

So with the really bad break I listened to songs with an ounce or 20 of rage.
Live and Let Die~Paul McCartney and Wings--I like it for its harsh sound and it says die a lot.
Everything About You~Ugly Kid Joe--It is a song about hate, but the song is mildly funny.
Basketcase~Greenday--It was a great song for working out, to get the anger out.
+ Any heavy song that is good for getting that anger out.

Now if I am feeling like crying I play these songs.
Goodbye to you~Michelle Branch
Smile Like You Mean It~The killers
Hands Open~Snow Patrol--It was our un official song. I still love the song if only it did not have that excess baggage.

And then a song that tends to make me feel better, and makes it his loss.
Best Thing that You Never Had~Butch Walker--The alt-rock king of Break up songs.

Posts: 3 | From: michigan | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spikebabe9
Neophyte
Member # 34078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spikebabe9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The songs that I listen to all matter on what kind of a break it was. My last one was a bad break on his part. We had been going out for going on 6 months and he was 2 years younger than me. His immaturity was obvious, he could not spell to save his life, and that combined with him sending me and e-mail asking me if I was "board" with him or was I seeing someone else. At one time or another I did want to hit him upside the head with a plank, but that is way off topic.

So with the really bad break I listened to songs with an ounce or 20 of rage.
Live and Let Die~Paul McCartney and Wings--I like it for its harsh sound and it says die a lot.
Everything About You~Ugly Kid Joe--It is a song about hate, but the song is mildly funny.
Basketcase~Greenday--It was a great song for working out, to get the anger out.
+ Any heavy song that is good for getting that anger out.

Now if I am feeling like crying I play these songs.
Goodbye to you~Michelle Branch
Smile Like You Mean It~The killers
Hands Open~Snow Patrol--It was our un official song. I still love the song if only it did not have that excess baggage.

And then a song that tends to make me feel better, and makes it his loss.
Best Thing that You Never Had~Butch Walker--The alt-rock king of Break up songs.

Posts: 3 | From: michigan | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Houston46
Neophyte
Member # 33878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Houston46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, this topic is really long, but I'm going to add mine because it's fun and I'm bored and I want to overanalyze my music library. I can make a playlist for myself, too.

When you're pissed:
"Another Day" Rent
"Turn Your Back On Love" Crosby, Stills & Nash
"Hurra" Die rzte (even if you don't know German)
"You Don't Know Me At All" Don Henley
"Enemy" Eve 6
"Don't Wanna Fall In Love" Green Day
"I Don't Wanna Know If You Are" Green Day
"Hold You Down" Jump
"Beer" Reel Big Fish
"If You C Jordan" Something Corporate
"Re-Offender" Travis
"Enemy" Travis

When you want to mope:
"One Song Glory" Rent
"Goodbye Love" Rent
"When I'm Alone" Carbon Leaf
"Liar" The Cranberries
"Heart Hotels" Dan Fogelberg
"And So It Goes" Billy Joel
"I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" Colin Hay
"Vincent" Don McLean
"It's A Mother****er" The Eels
"Tears In Heaven" Eric Clapton
"Here's To The Night" Eve 6
"Whatsername" Green Day
"Dim And The Dark" Jump
"Broken" Jump
"Dust in the Wind" Kansas
"Closing Time" Semisonic
"The Past and Pending" The Shins
"Why Does It Always Rain On Me" Travis
"How Many Hearts" Travis

When you want to move forward/forget:
"We Used To Be Friends" The Dandy Warhols
"Love Heals" Rent
"Let Your Troubles Roll By" Carbon Leaf
"Love Loss Hope Repeat" Carbon Leaf
"Last Worthless Evening" Don Henley
"Get Over It" The Eagles
"You'll Get Through It" Ellery
"Let Go" Frou Frou
"Letterbomb" Green Day
"Requiem" Jump
"Mine's Not A High Horse" The Shins
"Caring Is Creepy" The Shins
"Don't Let It Get You Down" Spoon
"Love Will Come Through" Travis
"The Damage In Your Heart" Weezer

I don't know how these make you feel but they're good relevant songs:
"You Were The Last High" The Dandy Warhols
"Waiting For Your Letter" Cary Brothers
"Old Love" Eric Clapton
"Love Is No Big Truth" Kings of Convenience
"Teenager in Love" Less Than Jake
"I Need Love" Luka Bloom
"Snow (Hey Oh)" Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Eyes Wide Open" Travis

Artists in general who are good for break ups:
Elliott Smith
Joshua Radin
R.E.M.
Spring Awakening (the musical)

Hm. That took a while, and there are probably a million more songs I missed. Yeah, and I accidentally posted this in another spot on the forum in the middle of a serious discussion, so that was embarrassing.

Posts: 27 | From: Suburbia | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siloriel
Neophyte
Member # 29920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siloriel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got some sweet music, chupsikina.

You know, I actually found a lot of songs to be really destructive after my first break-up. They brought to mind all these paranoid, I-wasn't-good-enough feelings that put ideas into my head that made me very very hurt for a while.

"The One I Love", by REM, comes to mind.
"My Happy Ending" Avril Lavigne
"Since You Been Gone" Kelly Clarkson
"Headstrong" Trapt
"It's My Life" Bon Jovi
"Goodbye Love" Rent
Dido
Garden State soundtrack

Many more, but those are the main ones.

Man, my music taste kind of goes out the window when I'm super-emotional.

Posts: 8 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkveins
Activist
Member # 33993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkveins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the first stages of the breakup i listen to all of the songs that were "our songs" and pout/cry my eyes out thinking "why?! whyyyy?!"
then i start listening to my own sad melodies that i reserve for breakups.
-all of the albums by death cab for cutie and dashboard confessional
i listen to these over and over and over again...seriously listen to dashboard they are so whiny and heartbroken it makes you think "omg they know EXACTLY how i feel!!" in between fits and tears. and death cab is so simple yet therapeutic (spg?)
-the song from Rent the movie "Without You" is a heart/tear-jerker
-Papa Roach-Forever is sad and bitter and perfect for bitter memories and feelings.
then when im past those stages and i'm full of rage and "i am so much better than this" and i'm actually in a good, take-charge kinda mood, these songs:
aly and aj-the potential breakup song (SOO good!)
limp bizkit-break stuff
uffie-hot chick
veruca salt-volcano girls
ok go-get over it
i also listen to gothic/weird sh*t such as Deadsy and ICP (insane clown posse), Korn, and Marilyn Manson...anything that makes me feel angry and like screaming I DONT GIVE A F*CK!!!!

[ 06-29-2007, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: pinkveins ]

--------------------
you promised me heaven but put me through hell...
</3

Posts: 72 | From: illinois | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkveins
Activist
Member # 33993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkveins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh yeah and i forgot to add "over" by lindsey lohan and "make damn sure" by taking back sunday... those songs make you sad and bitter all at once they're fabulous breakup songs seriously!

[ 06-29-2007, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: pinkveins ]

--------------------
you promised me heaven but put me through hell...
</3

Posts: 72 | From: illinois | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Castaway
Activist
Member # 28219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Castaway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pissed:
Whiplash, Dipsosable Heroes, Holier Than Thou, Dyers Eve, Seek & Destroy, The Four Horsemen, Hit The Lights - Metallica

Sad/Broke up:

Fade to Black, Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
No One Knows - Green Day

Happy:
Whiplash, Metal Militia, Jump In The Fire, Motorbreath, Right The Lightning - Metallica

Posts: 89 | From: Somewhere in dreamland.... | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lexie
Activist
Member # 29769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooh yeah. anything elliott smith. or jeff buckley.

and...
Seeing Other People - Belle and Sebastian
Song For The Dumped - Ben Folds Five

and of course, listening to all those songs that were "our songs"

Posts: 76 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
hole in the head- sugar babes for when you're ready to tell the bloke that actually no you dont want him back thank you very much.
Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EliotDorian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras
Tool - H.
Alice in Chains - Would
Soundgarden - Fell on Black Days
Soundgarden - Zero Chance
Pearl Jam - Black
PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
Blue Evans - Cold (But I'm Still Here)
AFI - This Time Imperfect
Rise Against - Saviour
Tool - You Lied
Allegro (not a band, it's a musical) - The Gentleman is a Dope
Mariah Carey - My All
Say Anything - Spider Song (unofficial song that my last ex and I "shared", by which I mean I did one of those social memes where people answer creative questions about each other and one was "What song or movie do I make you think of?" - thank God I'm not actually a Say Anything fan)

--------------------
"What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if no one asks to see 'em?"

Posts: 87 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wreckingball
Neophyte
Member # 44981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wreckingball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I ain't sayin' you treated me unkind, coulda done better but I don't mind. You just kinda waisted my precious time. But don't think twice it's all right."- Bob Dylan

--------------------
'My love's a beahive, dodecahedron of caring'

Posts: 12 | From: North | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have lots [Razz] here's a fat list (I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I post!)

Nickel Creek - Somebody More Like You
Magnet - The Gospel Song
Fleetwood Mac - The Chain
Beast - Mr Hurricane
Mika - Happy Ending
Lady GaGa - Alejandro
DJ Earworm - Heartless in a Bottle
Madonna - Hung Up
The Killers - Read My Mind
Gnarls Barkley - Who's Gonna Save My Soul
Annie Lennox - Why
DJ Earworm - Reckoner Lockdown
Rihanna - Breakin' Dishes
Annette Hanshaw - Moanin' Low
Lily Allen - Not Fair
Glee Cast - Hate On Me
Lykke Li - I'm Good, I'm Gone
Annie Lennox - Walking on Broken Glass
Kelis - I Hate You So Much Right Now
Julie London - Cry Me A River
DeVotchKa - Venus in Furs
Nick Drake - Things Behind the Sun
My Fair Lady - Never Let a Woman in Your Life
Madonna - Sorry
Glee Cast - Bust Your Windows
Andrew Bird - Tea and Thorazine
Public Image Ldt. - This Is Not a Love Song
Lady GaGa - Bad Romance
Flogging Molly - Another Bag of Bricks
Britney Spears - Hit Me Baby One More Time
Sarah McLachlan - Stupid
Nick Drake - River Man
N*Sync - Bye Bye Bye
One Republic feat. Timbaland - Apologize
Lily Allen - Littlest Things
Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up To Dry
The Guess Who - She's Come Undone
Elton John - Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road
Peter Bjorn and John - Nothing to Worry About
Lily Allen - Smile
Andrew Bird - Beware [Reprise]/A Drinking Song
Rihanna - Take a Bow
You're a Mean One, Mr Grinch (for feeling self-righteous and spiteful [Razz] )

Why I love that Andrew Bird song:

Look at you, you disgust me.
Sitting there, staring at me
Giving me no more respect
than the images on your TV.

And I have a wish for you, oh I have wish for you!
May all your mornings be bright.
May all your wool stockings fit a little too tight.
May alarms that sound on the cars around town,
their owners, never be found. [Big Grin]

Your palette is dry, and your tongue is green,
that's me in your head telling you to stay off my scene.

You're drunk, and I suppose it's your excuse.
But really, you know, Im not the anchor of the 10 o'clock news.
A toast, to you, my inappropriate friends,
Godspeed to the bathroom tiles!
Your unbridled ignorance truly offends...
it's a drinking song, in the grande style!
[Wink]

This is a bit of Mr Hurricane by Beast (I love Betty Bonifassi's voice)

I stopped bein' the victim
But you weren't there to see
I never felt bitter
Till you crippled me
I felt like a refugee from the pain
I had to wear that shroud with no shame
Deceit and lies
were your crying game
I never fell in love so deeply in vain

So I stay a while
Knife in my side
While I slowly died
Defeat from the inside
Now I scream 'til the end of the day
Never again, Mr. Hurricane

The awesome DJ Earworm mixes are here
http://djearworm.com/reckoner-lockdown.htm
http://djearworm.com/heartless-in-a-bottle.htm

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sharpay_drama_queen
Neophyte
Member # 45611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharpay_drama_queen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Taylor Swift!!!!!!

Also Demi Lovato has some great songs as well

Posts: 7 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tori Amos- "Putting the Damage On"
Cradle of Filth- "Gabrielle"
Nick Cave- "Henry Lee"

The last is particularly good for a breakup that occured because of cheating... : )

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygirl_sosu
Neophyte
Member # 44194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygirl_sosu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gives you hell-american rejects! bahaha (when you see my face hope it gives you hell!)
Posts: 30 | From: OK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I missed this thread. And it was so relevant to me last year. [Razz]

There's a bunch of good ones already up there, but I have a few to add.

Airborne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight (that started getting airtime on the radio right around the time I realized my relationship was over, and it's so beautifully sad that it made me cry every time)

Jewel - Perfectly Clear (because, well, a lot of it fit my situation perfectly), and to a lesser extent, also Foolish Games

Shakira - Illegal

The Cure - Pictures of You (what made it worse was that my ex had introduced me to The Cure)

[ 03-07-2010, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SugarBuni
Neophyte
Member # 37450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SugarBuni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this is an old thread...So...

"Details in the Fabric" - Jason Mraz
"Breakeven" - The Script
"Here comes goodbye" - Rascal Flatts
"I'm movin' on" - Rascal Flatts
"You were meant for me" - Jewel
"More than a memory" - Garth Brooks
"Damaged" - Plumb

--------------------
- Save me, I'm lost. Oh lord, I've been waiting for you.

Posts: 34 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronlak111
Neophyte
Member # 46402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ronlak111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many choices like :

# Craig David-Walking Away
# Backstreet Boys-More than That
# Backstreet Boys - "Quit playing games with my heart"
# Beyonce Knowles-Im leaving
# Mariah Carey-Breakdown
# Mariah Carey-Crybaby

List is going on but these are the alltime favourite.

--------------------
Rons

Posts: 31 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm usually not a big fan of Fergie, but I was really impressed with her song "Big Girls Don't Cry".

Lyrics:
The smell of your skin lingers on me now
Your probably on your flight back to your home town
I need some shelter of my own protection baby
To be with myself and center, clarity
Peace, Serenity

[CHORUS]
I hope you know, I hope you know
That this has nothing to do with you
It's personal, Myself and I
We've got some straightenin' out to do
And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket
But Ive got to get a move on with my life
Its time to be a big girl now
And big girls don't cry
Don't cry
Don't cry
Don't cry

The path that I'm walking
I must go alone
I must take the baby steps until I'm full grown
Fairytales don't always have a happy ending, do they
And I foresee the dark ahead if I stay

[CHORUS]
But I've got to get a move on with my life
And big girls don't cry

Like the little school mate in the school yard
We'll play jacks and uno cards
Ill be your best friend and you'll be mine
Valentine
Yes you can hold my hand if u want to
Cause I want to hold yours too
Well be playmates and lovers and share our secret worlds
But its time for me to go home
Its getting late, dark outside
I need to be with myself and center, clarity
Peace, Serenity

[CHORUS]
But I've got to get a move on with my life
And big girls don't cry
Don't cry
Don't cry
Don't cry

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.