Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Love or Lust

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Love or Lust
Purple Lemonade
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow....I haven't here for quite a while.
Anywayz, a couple of friends and me were having a little talk about love and lust.
We all made a decision about it.
Lust is when you have a crush on someone and you've never really actually met the guy.
And Love is something stronger (we couldn't explain it).
So what's your definition of love and lust??

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in my opinion, I'd have to say 'lust' is a physical longing for another person, and 'love' is a deeper emotional attachment. Sometimes feelings of love and lust come together, and sometimes they don't. I love my boyfriend, and there is also that feeling of physical longing for him. Yet I also love my family, and I certainly don't lust after them! And if we're talking solely about lust...well all I can say is David Duchovny. Yum!

the kittenblog

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt, credunt. Men willingly believe what they wish."
~Caius Julius Caeser

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *ShellerBabe*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can agree w/Kitten on this one.... except i lust over The Rock!
Posts: 117 | From: America..~*hehe*~ | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love is about respect and like and that bubbly feeling all mixed into one chocolate milkshake (sorry, I'm in that kind of mood), lust is that feeling that starts in the nether regions and works it's way up your spine until you absolutely *have* to have that person. I know a lot of guys, some I lust after (I know them, don't love them, but I could definetly see myself involved with them sexually), so I don't think it's just with people you don't know.

Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to make clear, off the bat, that these are PERSONAL definitions! Thank you.

To me, love is a feeling that isn't limited to one person. I love many people in this world including my friends, family, and boyfriend. Loving them means that I care deeply about them and that they are an integral part of my life. You care about who they are and their interests and their personalities and everything that makes up who they are. Being *in* love is another thing entirely (at least, to me). Being in love is a combination of love, lust, passion, desire, and inspiration. And for that, I am currently only in love with one person (Peter), although it isn't unheard of to be in love with more than one person at the same time.

Lust (to me) is a physical craving. It doesn't necessarily involve caring about the other person's interests or what makes up who they are. I think lust is much more involved with the surface of a person as opposed to what makes them tick. For example, I lust after Edward Norton (even though I can never have him *SOB*) because I find him attractive and charismatic. But, the truth be told, I don't know him and all I know is what I have made up for myself that he is (does that make any sense?). Edward Norton is a fantasy because I don't know him, so I can pretend that he's perfect. It's not impossible to lust after someone you know very well, but I think WHEN you lust after someone, you're more preoccupied with the surface qualities than anything else. I think it's physical desire.

I really hope this hasn't been too confusing (cause I know I'm confused).

Smile, though your heart is breaking....

My crazy little universe....

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there....
With open arms and open eyes...."

Posts: 289 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 3712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chocolato     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lust is when you long for someone and your hormones start racing and you only concentrate on those sexy parts of his body and you don't really get concerned over whether he's felling well, or is he happy. Or does he like this or that blah..
Love is when you sincerely care for the person, when your heart would cry inside if he hurt you deeply. It's when you wouldn't really notice how sexy his body is but what the feelings between you two are.

Posts: 2 | From: singapore | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm of the mind that emotions can rarely be easily compartmentalized: they tend to merge into one another in varying degrees far too often.

If something feels good for two people and everybody is happy, doesn't matter much what you call it.

Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 3448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViCeVeRsA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with what you all said, you dont have to love to be in lust.
Posts: 43 | From: Uk | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.