Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » I'm turning into my mother!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm turning into my mother!
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*gasp* Ever have one of those moments where you realize that no matter how many times you've said "I am not going to be like my mother (or father) about ____" that you're actually doing it anyway? I was thinking about this when I was reading one of the other threads, and thus I wondered...

We know that many of our views and habits are formed by being around our parents. Do you see parallels between your parents and yourself, and within your relationships with other people? Have you chosen a partner who is similar to one of your parents?

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really with someone who is like my parents, but i know i'm like my parents. I don't mind being like my mom because i think my mom's has a lotta good stuff about her.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh yeah...there are some days when I'll say or do something and then I'll freeze. "Good heavens...I'm turning into my mother...aaaaaggghhh!!!"

I think as we all grow up, that will become more and more evident...and it's probably not a horrible thing. As long as I don't adopt any of the horrible habits my mother had (like swearing at people in traffic), I suppose I'll be okay.

--Danny

------------------
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I see alot of my mother in myself. We are alot alike. And it scared me the other day when I realized that my boyfriend is alot like my dad.

Example: We were on the interstate, and I was driving and he was looking at the map trying to tell me where I should be going. And I had to make a decision about which way to go...so he's trying to decide, and I'm like "Make up your mind!"....and then I thought, 'Oh God, we are my parents!' That was rather scary.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's so funny that you brought this up cause I have been thinking about this very issue!

I know I am nothing like my mom. Even though I do love her because she's my mom and we have moments where we get along, she is my complete opposite. I always say that if we weren't related I wouldn't pick her as a friend. No offense to her, but we're really that different!

And recently I've realized that a lot of the guys I date remind me of my dad, either in their looks, mannerisms, attitude, ideas, etc. I'm sure it's not a bad thing, since I've dated a lot of great guys recently.

------------------
Lil Siren

Read My Thoughts...

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since this is relationships, I feel that the way I handle my relationships is exactly the same as how my mother handles her relationship with my dad.

We are both tolerant to a certain extent and after that we just freak out. We are fairly short tempered, can be childish and demanding at times yet understanding.

I think when you are brought up with only your mum to provide the female figure in your life, it is natural to feel that what she does is what a woman should do.

And this theory has proven very true with all of my friends. The way my mum treats her friends is also identical to the way I treat mine. I'm like her twin.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I *am* my mother. I look like her (if she gained 40 pounds). We're both awful -- or mediocre at best -- cooks. We're pragmatic. I'm not as stoic as my mom, though. We're both very business-minded. She treats my father with a contented sort of compliance; I treat my boyfriend the same way. We don't nit pick the details, we just go along with things unless it's a really ugly problem.

as it were, i've finally reached the age where i realize my mom is right. always.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surferChicka
Activist
Member # 2232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surferChicka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh gosh...i just told myself yesterday that i was acting like my mom.

i understand what you're saying siren, about being the oPPosite of your mom. my mom and i are like that tOO. and i'm not sure if i reaLLy do waNNa be like my mom. maybe i'm saying this b/c things haven't bEEn gOOd at aLL betwEEn us for a very long time. but even before i brought our bad relationship upon myself, i didnt waNNa be like her. but...turns out i have one trait of hers. my bf and i were fighting, and i could not make a decision. i was incredibly wishy-washy about it. just like mom! and i absolutely hated that moment. i do care about her i gueSS, dont get me wrong. i just wouldnt waNNa be like her. and i can control that cant i?

------------------
peace, love, & seXwax!

Posts: 117 | From: Honolulu, HI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.