Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » He hates me... I think

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: He hates me... I think
Never Been Kissed
Neophyte
Member # 3361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Never Been Kissed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's this guy I know, and we're not exactly friends. Actually, we're constantly insulting and teasing each other. A few of my friends have noticed this, and think that it means we like each other. I've been telling them that I don't like him, but now I'm starting to believe otherwise. When we can speak civilly to each other, I realize I can have a good, intelectual conversation with (which I find rare). Most of the time, though, he's either torturing me, or he's saying how much he loves me (and he knows it bugs me). I sorta want to find out if there could be anything between us, but if I say something, and he doesn't feel the same way, I'll never hear the end of it. Another choice is to ask one my my friends to ask him, which would mean I'd get a big fat "I told you so", and still run the risk of him not feeling the same and torturing me about it. It's sort of a sticky situation... what can I do?

------------------
~*~
"It's not just the green ones, all of them make me horney"

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you guys?

I ask this just because it's one thing if it's like this when you're 14, but if you're in your twenties, it's another matter entirely.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Never Been Kissed
Neophyte
Member # 3361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Never Been Kissed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, we're in high school (sophomore year). Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

------------------
~*~
"It's not just the green ones, all of them make me horney"

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither really, I just needed that info to answer this decently.

And yes, it's pretty common for people who aren't very experienced with dating or flirting to antagonize one another as aa means of doing it. You know why because you said it yourself: it's safe. Even if one of you "trips up" and says something in earnest, you can always say you were kidding.

I'm not a big fan of involving third parties in relationships. It tends to make more trouble than anything, IMHO.

Really, I say take it as it goes. Most relationships simply develop over time, rather than being "started" by one person or another. If over time you find you two do get along and like each other, then it'll likely start to flow pretty naturally.

If all you do is antagonize, you may want to think about if that's the sort of relationship you really want.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trading insults is something I usually do with very close friends because I know that they don't mind and of course, I get insulted back. But that's our way of showing affection for each other. Weird, I know.

And that could be what he is doing but if some of his insults get out of hand you might want to just tell him that this is something you would rather not joke about.

And if you are uncomfortable about actually finding out if he likes you, then take things slow. See if your friendship eventually develops into anything more. As Miz Scarlet has said, these things take time. So give it time. Gd luck sweetie.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.