Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » He's away....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: He's away....
Member # 1881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, everyone.

Sorry for my absence over the past week. I'll try to be back more often. I just moved into my new place and I've been wrapped up with that.

And this. My boyfriend just went off to Australia for two months. He left this afternoon and I saw him off. He's going backpacking around the country with his best friend.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through anything like this. I pretended that I was completely relaxed with the idea in front of him because I didn't want him to know how sad I was. And now I can't stop crying. I know this whole emotional behavior will die down after a couple of days, but it's really hard to think of my life without him for now. And it isn't as though he's gone forever. Just for a couple of months. Oy.

This is really getting me down and I'm trying to come up with ways to deal with it and things to do about it. Any ideas?

Thanks, guys!

Posts: 289 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry he's gone for 2 months. *HUGS*

I have a few of ideas of ways you can deal with him being gone. Call up your friends and do something fun with them, go to movies, shop, go out to dinner. I know whenever I'm in a relationship I don't have as much time with my friends, so when I get I spare moment I'm usually with them! Also, it's always good to just get out and do something different or simple. Since if you stay at home it'll only make you miss him more. And keep reminding yourself that he's having a great time.

Wish I could come up with more suggestions, guess it's still too early for me!

}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You just close your eyes slowly like you're waiting for a kiss, and hope some lowly little power will pull you out of this..."

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*big hugs*

Oh sweetie, I know it has to suck major that he's away. But look at it this way. It's 2 months. He'll be back annoying you before you know it.

And if you want to pass your time, hey, just get onto icq. There are tonnes of people from Scarleteen who are there forever. I can take the early morning and late night shift.

And of course, everything StarryRedhead suggested is good too. Shopping, chilling with friends, reading, watching brainless TV, coming on Scarleteen. Goodness, there is tonnes of stuff you could do.

It will be over soon. *hugs*

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*huggles* Cypher, dearie, it's just two months.... you'll manage this. Just don't sit around at home and think about all the stuff your guy is experiencing travelling through Queensland (or wherever he'll be spending his time) - get out and be active. get your bum to the gym, meet people, go to movies, volunteer somewhere. Do something you always wanted to do but never had time to. Do stuff so that you don't feel as if you've sat around for two months while he's "exploring the world". Imagine how good it'll be if you can tell him about some new stuff you've done during those two months, too!

eMail him and tell him about how you're doing, keep in contact with him, but don't start to get supsicious (or at least try to) when he doesn't eMail you every day...he's busy exploring that new country and might not find a net cafe every day. If you don't want to write soppy eMails every day, write in your diary or prepare a scrap book/diary for him, so that he knows what you've been up to during those two months, my ex partner and I both did that when he was in Brasil for 4 months, and it was fab because we swabbed books after he returned.

And if you're ever in a bad mood, come here and vent. And as soon as I have my icq back (next week), I'm happy to listen, too.

You can manage this, hon. I never thought I could, but now I've been in this nasty 16409km between us relationship thing and it's still hard, but it works, somehow. *huggles again*

"I am capable of, but sometimes not interested in making myself happy."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what? I'm in a very similar situation.
My boyfriend is a few hundred km's away, doing some contract work to earn some $$.. and we'll be apart for 6 weeks in total.

I found it very hard at first, I got quite lonely and just a wee bit paranoid But I found that sometimes it's the best thing that can possibly happen! Use the time you have to concentrate on yourself.. go out and buy lots of nail polish and products, and pamper yourself silly

Catch up with old friends, spend time with your parents and family, and most importantly, spend time with yourself, and use the time to your advantage to learn more about what makes you tick

Hope that helps

Scarleteen Advocate, not to be confused with Advocaat

I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than eating soup with a knife.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much, everyone! It's really so comforting to know that there are people out there who care. ICQ is a wonderful idea.

I know it's going to be hard, but when I woke up this morning somehow I was feeling much better. I had a good cry last night and got it out of my system. The slight paranoia is still present, but hopefully it'll fade over time.

Thanks so much!

Posts: 289 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.