Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Making Out and Parties

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Making Out and Parties
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sister is a VERY regular partygoer and when we were having a little girl2girl chat, she said to me that when a guy wants to make out with you or have sex with you at a party, it doesn't necessarily mean that they want to go out with you or start a relationship...I was wondering what you guys think about this.

------------------
If your not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with others.

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I see it, not many people go to a club to look for a life-long partner.

So whatever happens at the club could be a spur of the moment thing or even a state of drunkneness thing.

However I do know of friends who have had lasting relationships with guys they met at clubs so bottomline, it's all about the guy.

If a guy is only out for sex, it really doesn't matter where you meet him. He's still only going to want one thing.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you randomly meet someone at a party and end up doing anything with them, chances are that you're not looking for a relationship. Because if you were, wouldn't it make sense to get to know then first instead of saying "hey there's an empty room". I don't think there's anything wrong with that, per se, but I'd say that majority of the people who do this don't end up having a long relationship with the person tht ISN"T about sex.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yea, I'd pretty much say that your sister is right. I know that when my friends go clubbing or to big parties they just want to hook up with someone they meet, and not necessarily get to know them.

------------------
"it's like being hit in the head repeatedly with a sock full of quarter's" ~~Daria~~

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
blargh. i guess for some, *hooking up* is okay. just to *get some*. but personally i can't deal with it.

"i never kissed someobody, so that they would break my heart...that's not what i want...that's not what i will start" -lisa loeb

i always get too emotionally involved, and for such serious acts (even if is "just kissing"), i feel it should be special and not just another random hookup. these acts lose their grace and beauty when it's just a common *no feelings* thing.

-justine

------------------
have i been wrong?
have i been wise?
to shut my eyes and play along?

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't have said it better, Justine ...
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loveable me
Neophyte
Member # 2915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loveable me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you never know. In my country there is a saying that, "there are no nice guys in town". But this isn't true. The ones who are saying it are the ones who are afraid to make a commitment to a guy.
Posts: 28 | From: København, Denamrk | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL

I thought that statement was applicable throughout the world.

we have it here too.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cypher
Activist
Member # 1881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do people tend to go to parties? To have fun!

Everyone has fun in different ways. Some people like to just enjoy themselves in the moment and not seek anything beyond that. My senior year of highschool (last year) was FULL of parties. On Monday the gossip would just start to fly over who hooked up with who or who did what. Usually by Tuesday afternoon all was forgotten.

The one downside to random party hookups is that sometimes the two people involved aren't always on the same page. I remember one girl (we'll call her Jessica) had an incident with one of my friends (we'll call him Doug). Jessica and Doug ended up spending some time during one party kissing and cuddling. After that she developped a huge crush on him and wanted to have a relationship with him. From the beginning, at the party, Doug told her he wasn't interested in a relationship and that he was just having fun. He didn't want to hurt her later on. But she hoped that perhaps if they hooked up, he would change his mind. He didn't. She was very hurt and he was left feeling very guilty. It was a very messy situation all together.

But it certainly isn't impossible. My boyfriend and I got together when we went out with a bunch of friends to a beach party. We spent the night hanging around each other and flirting and at the end of the night he confessed he'd had a crush on me and I confessed the same thing back to him and he kissed me. And if we hadn't gone out that night there's a great possibility that neither one of us would have gotten up the nerve to tell the other person how they felt. So it just goes to show....

If you get into a situation where you may be hooking up with another person it is best to HONESTLY clarify your intentions and have them do the same thing, BEFORE anything ends up happening. They can be nice, one-time things, but they can also go sour and leave people hurt.

Also, at NONE of the parties I ever went to did people end up just hooking up for sex. Of course, these were all highschool parties, but still.

Posts: 289 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d1TzY8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i go to a party, its all about the fun! Im the kinda person who doesn't mind dishing out some play...ONLY if I get some back. It just gives me a sense of being wanted kinda.

At my highschool its totally different..thats all the parties are ever for..is sex.

Posts: 316 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh the *friends with benifits* thing. I think if you are into that sort of stuff and you are smart about it. (Like using potection, birth control and all that good stuff).

I dont think I could have sexual intercourse at a party because if you get emotionally attached to the person and they dont want a relationship and you do, then its a hard thing to go thru. Maybe I would makeout at party. Only kissing. I never really thought about it that much, I just thought about having fun, not who I was going to have sex with at the party.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful what you do at parties! Rumors spread quickly.
Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.