Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » just bummed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: just bummed
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever had to deal with liking someone who already had a partner? Well...that's what I'm going through and I'd really love to hear from someone, anyone, who can relate!! How did you face the person? It hurts so bad to see him with her... I just wanna forget about him already!

------------------
"it's like being hit in the head repeatedly with a sock full of quarter's" ~~Daria~~

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure have. It sucks. But what is worse is when you have a partner and someone is eyeing you and you're eyeing them back. That's the worse, esspecialy when they are good friends :\

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid! :)

"No one can stop you from who you love and the one love is who you love."

"Never frown because you never know when someone is falling in love with your smile."

Watch out! I'm a awful speller. *hehe*

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surferChicka
Activist
Member # 2232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surferChicka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh! constantly...isnt it the worst??

but honestly, it was in my best interest 2 just 4get it. who knows? somebody might be eying you anyway! u should give em a chance.

------------------
peace, love, & seXwax!

Posts: 117 | From: Honolulu, HI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots and lotys and lots of times.

In my experience, the chances that you'll like someone who likes you when NEITHER of you has a partner can sometimes be very, very slim.

But truth be told, when I like someone, it has to do with liking them more than wanting them to be something particular to me. So, while it can be a bummer when there is a string attraction, it's a pretty minor bummer, and you can still be their friend. I mean, if you like them, you *like* them, no?

And you know, my husband and I did this dance for almost ten YEARS -- when we first met we both had partners, so we became very good friends. As the years went on, it never failed that when one of us was single, the other wasn't. Again, it's really okay. And what that DOES give you is the benefit of becoming very good friends with someone BEFORE you date them (if you ever do at all -- you may find your relationship is better as friends), which is what the best relationships (and the ones that last) are really based on.

So, don't despair. You may discover there's a really great friend hiding in that crush.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was kind of in your situation a little while back. I liked a guy who had a partner....and the guy was gay, too! I was totally hopeless .

But, I got over him, and moved on to someone unattached and who likes me back, too .

------------------
Give yourself over to absolute pleasure!! With protection, of course.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was head over heels for someone who was already dating someone else. so i waited for them to break up. and they did. and we went out. and it sucked. it was a complete and utter fiasco. and all that time i wasted pining for him, i could have been out there meeting new people.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhh, yes! I was with a guy who left me for someone else, sort of. Him and I weren't official but he meant the world to me and more, we shared a lot together, then she came along and boy was I crushed, devastated is more the word. And I was friends with him, he'd even flirt with me, which was only adding salt to the would because it was beyond obvious that he only wanted to be with her. And in being a friend it also means listening and hearing about all the happenings in his life and how wonderful his girlfriend was and how in love he was with her. I couldn't handle it, so I forgot him, stopped talking to him. I made the decision that I couldn't be friends with him because talking to him would make me so angry and depressed. It was break time from him so I could move on! So that's some advice I'd give you, if being friends with him is doing more bad than good....give the friendship a break.

Just so you know with my situation. After 10 months of not talking, we're talking again (coincidentally right before him and his girlfriend broke up). And I'm fine with being "just friends" and am not expecting anything more. Anyhow, good luck with your situation.

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"D'you get scared to feel so much? To let somebody touch you? So hot, so cold, so far, so out of control. Hard to come by, and harder to hold."
~Starry's World

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
starry...i think taking your advice would be best for me right now. I can't be friends with someone that whenever I look at them I only want them more. Thanks everyone.

------------------
"it's like being hit in the head repeatedly with a sock full of quarter's" ~~Daria~~

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyCQChick
Neophyte
Member # 1990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoxyCQChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have...I do...last summer I met this guy, who is now one of my best friends, well, I hit on him and what not and I found out in a pretty embarrassing way... my best friends mom told our assitant/friend at work, who told my mom, who told me! I was so hurt! I cried the whole day..first and only time I've ever cried over a guy. I ended up telling my friend that I have feelings for him, but that I will not in any way try to break him and his gf up. Which is true, I'm not that type of person. One twist to my thingie here, is that my friend also likes me back...but we know where we stand. Plus now I'm dating someone and there's no way I'm two timing him. But anyway, it hurts to know the guy you like has a gf or is dating someone else. I've never met my friends gf and I don't want to..it would be too much for me to handle.
Posts: 8 | From: Coleville, California, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whatsherface13
Neophyte
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whatsherface13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh hun, all the time! I swear I've been in love with this one guy on and off for 3 years and he's had at least 3 girlfriends while I've liked him. It's just a natural womanly desire to have someone that another girl already has. I mean we all want the best for ourselves so when we see a guy with a girl, we know that there's something about that guy that makes her happy so you know you'll be happy with him too. Don't fret!

------------------
The ever so loveable, huggable, snuggable Cissa!

Posts: 16 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yuppers, I have...
And don't worry 'bout it, I can guarantee that things will be OK soon

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.