Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Getting to know a girl...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting to know a girl...
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antonio99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been meeting this girl in my english class for quite some time every week. Eventually, you can say we don't know each other much. It was more like going inside class and saying hello and smiling at each other and then talk a bit and then listening to the teacher lecturing on the subject.

I don't know if she's interested in me but she sure gives me those HI and SMILEs every time I walk pass her. She's very nice though.

My question is... how do I start the conversation ? What questions do I ask ? Should I keep on talking unless she's annoyed ? Or should I just talk to her randomly ?
What makes a girl feel comfy with a guy ? When he asks questions or when he introduces himself ?

antonio99

Posts: 208 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SurfGal
Activist
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SurfGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man oh man why can't there be more men in the world like you? Oh well, back to the subject at hand. I think you should just ask her a question about school...say you see her with a book, "Who do you have for....?" or "tough class huh?" This could start a conversation a neutral territory....school. Always safe Good luck

------------------
"Girl you can pick a field full of daisies...but he'd still be my baby!" ~Dream

***STACY***

Posts: 81 | From: Jacksonville, FL. 32218 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discuss things about school and the class you're sitting in, that's a good place to start. Ask what her major is...basically just make polite low stress conversation. Ask her name and tell her yours, shake her hand (if that's possible) when you do that. Treat her the same way you would treat anyone new that you meet. And stop worrying about whether or not she "likes" you. How about trying to make a new friend instead of pick up a girl? Going at it like you're looking at her as your potential future wife usually isn't the way to go...just try to start a friendship. I can't tell you how nice it is when a guy is just there to enjoy your company and listen to what you have to say as opposed to trying to get you into his bed! So be polite, make a new friend...and don't hesitate to give her your phone number (you can say that if she ever wants to study or something to give you a call).

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip."
~Jonathan Carroll

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antonio99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surfgal: You wished there were more men like me in this world ? What makes you say that. Anyways I appreicate the advice though. I really do. I'll try to spark up the conversation about school and everything.

And Kittengoddess: I'm not trying to get her into bed. But I see your point of view. Asides from that, I'll be my best and at my best in making a friend.

Thanks you two, somehow I wished I had more replies. Sorry for replying late though coz I have the fever. I'm really sick today.

I'm from Nashville though and I go to MTSU in Tennessee.

Peace
Antonio99

Posts: 208 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean to imply that you were trying to get into her bed...I'm just saying that it gets really old when a girl feels like every guy she meets is trying to pick her up. And therefore, coming across as trying to meet her as a friend would probably get a better response from her.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip."
~Jonathan Carroll

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with what Kitten said. And to add, be careful about coming on too strong. Some people can be very intimidated by someone who immediately talks their ear off and wants to know everything about them. Be simple at first, yes, introduce yourself, it's always a good start! I always fine it comforting when someone is nice enough to say, "Oh, by the way I'm..so and so..And you are?" Then talk about school, your class, and usually conversations just flow from there. If you're interested in her just start off as acquaintances then see where it goes from there. Good luck!

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"D'you get scared to feel so much? To let somebody touch you? So hot, so cold, so far, so out of control. Hard to come by, and harder to hold."

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like it when a guy just comes up introduces himself and say hi.

I would say talking about school is a great way to start. Maybe you could get her number and call her on the pretence of asking about homework or where tomorow's class is.

If her eyes start glazing over and she starts staring at her watch every 5 secs, I say its a good time to stop talking. But if she smiles and replies you and she seems generally happy talking to you, I think you're fine.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reigh
Activist
Member # 2639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking about school is great. Mabey if you notice a change even somthing suttle (especail somthing most didn't notice) That you think she changed to try somthing new(A new hair cut, some specail touch like painted figer or toe nails) and you rfeeling brave piont it out as a complimant.
Posts: 52 | From: Kennewick, wa, usa | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karina582
Neophyte
Member # 2181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karina582     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well-to me most of my conversations with guys are usually started in class after an essay is returned and they would ask me..."what did you get?" and if our scores were average-but not excellent, we would just sit there and complain about how mean the teacher is. This way, you got a conversation started...now if she gets a better score than you did...you can ask "Whoa whoa whoah....you understand this stuf!?!" and then maybe you can spend lunch together with her explaining to you the concepts of Freud. It always works...well in my case. hehee..

------------------

quote:
"Mistakes are lessons of wisdom"-Mariott Hotel Freeway Sign

Posts: 38 | From: Irvine, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muddcookie
Activist
Member # 2191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muddcookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed you have alot of question in the boards

Anyway different girls love different things. I personally LOVE when guys kind of just say random things. you can't really plan a whole conversation. space between your conversation is just as good as space between your thoughts.

conversation starters? umm **blank** anything works for that, that's kind of like a trick question *lol*

introducing yourself can sweep a girl off her feet totally, unless she already knows you then she'll probly be a little weirded out

don't keep talking until she gets annoyed! jeez, i knoe once i get annoyed, it's hard to get un-annoyed. just ease off a little, i don't know that many girls that like guys to just bend down and kiss their heinis *hehe* i dont like guys being all lovey-dovey before anything is even put out there. it's just plain creepy.

------------------
~*i climbed your arms and you pulled away new cavity moved into my heart today the more she sings the more it seems that now im through with you~*

Posts: 76 | From: ny | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.