Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Interracial Relationships.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interracial Relationships.
Celise
Activist
Member # 196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have a question, well maybe I just want your opinion on it but here goes...it's kinda long but please read it all. Ok, There is this guy that likes me He is black and I am white, he is a really sweet guy, I am a junior and he is a freshman, he is in all junior classes so he is real smart, he is funny and sweet and pretty much an overall great guy. The thing is my dad don't agree with interracial dating, my mom don't mind but she would be like "you know what your dad will think about that" and get upset at me. I really want to date him or at least get to know him better but I am afraid of whta my family might think. I think that what I want to do is just go for it, I don't want my dad to hate me but thins is who I am and I think that he is just gonna have to accept that I am going to live my own life, I don't want my life to be controlled by his ignorance because thta would make me just as bad as him. I don't think hw will do anything about it or try to stop it I just think e will talk alot of crap and make me fill guilty for doing something he don't like. But what I am asking is for your opinions on the subject and my situation. I believe I am 16 years old and I should make my own decision on my judgement, please respond. Thanks.
Posts: 89 | From: Newton, NC, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, right or wrong, you're 16 and you're still living under your parents roof and as such, you're under their rules. You're right about how you have to make your own decisions and stuff, but still, you live there. So my suggestion would be to be friends with this guy. Don't jump into anything, just be friends, get to know him.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell."
~Joan Crawford

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kitten's right, save the "I'm going to live my own life" stuff for when you do live your own life (which isn't now).

Until then, just be friends with the guy. If you think about it, he might seem like a great catch now but he may end up being a better friend than a boyfriend, so why risk a family fallout over it? If you're not up for the friendship, I suggest having a talk with your dad.

But if you do get to be good friends, you can invite the guy over to meet your dad. To your surprise, he may end up liking the kid, you never know. I'm being overly optimistic, if he's been prejudice all his life, I doubt he'll change now. However, your friend might be a start.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should add that whether you date him or not, you can still have important conversations with your parents about racism.

In fact, it'd likely be a very big mark of your own maturity to be able to say, "Okay, Mom and Dad, I respect your judegment and your rules, and so I will not date this person right now, so long as you are asking me not to. However, I think he is a very good person, and someone I'd like to get to know better and I certainly would like to be his friend. I would also like it if all of us could have an ongoing discussion about racism, because I'm very uncomfortable with making decisions about people based on nothing but their race."

And, I think that would be a very important discussion to have. You just may help your parents a great deal by having it.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey this sounds just like me and my b/f. He's a junior and black. I'm a freshmen and mexican. He's really smart,sweet,talented, and funny. He's the kinda guy my father would want me to date. I told my dad all kinds of great stuff about him and when I was done bragging-hehe-,he asked me what color he was. I said he's black and my dad automaticly decided he didn't like him. I told my dad he can't stop my feelings and emotions for another person and that we're just dating, not getting married. My mom loves my boyfriend and thinks we make a good couple but she did tell me that she felt sorry for me because she knew my dad would give me a hard time, and he has. Now he's always making jokes about black people and really makes me mad.

To me some parents are still old fashion when it comes to dating, but your parents won't stop loving because you're dating someone outside you race. It would be a good idea to talk to them. Just put your input into it and listen to them. Ask your dad why he doesn't like the thought of you dating a black person and anyone of another race. I do know my dad is a stereotype when it comes to black people. He thinks they're all "ghetto",loud,drug users, drug dealers, and stuff like that. Tell your dad to judge him after he meets him. He may like him.

As for my thought on interracial datting is that it's a very hip thing to do. You shouldn't look at a person because of their color but the inside. It's the person you fall for not the skin.

Sweetie if you're still not sure, I say go for what you heart tells you to do. Not your parents.

(Some of you may not agree with me on that one but that's just how I feel. )

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid!

Watch out! I'm a awful speller. *hehe*

[This message has been edited by CallMeBuffChick (edited 01-13-2001).]

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celise
Activist
Member # 196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I am going to go for it, that is exacally how I feel.
Posts: 89 | From: Newton, NC, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.